Production Scheduling for Damageable Items with Demand and Cost Flexibility Using Genetic Algorithm
In this paper, a production inventory model is designed with the assumption made about the cost function that will influence the empirical results obtained regarding measurement of volume flexibility. We consider a particular kind of products which are usually stored in stacks and damaged during the storage due to accumulated stress of heaped stock. These are known as damageable items. Here the model is developed for such items with stock-time-price sensitive demand and shortages. The unit production cost is taken to be a convex function of the production rate. The mathematical expression for the total relevant cost is derived and it is minimized subject to different constraints of the system. Because of the nonlinearity and complexity of the problem, the model is solved numerically and the final evaluations are made using genetic algorithm (GA). A numerical example is given and sensitivity analyses are performed to analyze the influence of various parameters on the overall cost. The results can help those manufacturing firms which deal in damageable products.
Keywordsdamageable item stock-time-price varying demand variable production cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bhandari, R.M., Sharma, P.K.: The economic production lot size model with variable cost function. Opsearch 36, 137–150 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Maiti, M.K., Maiti, M.: Production Policy for Damageable Items with Variable Costs Function in an Imperfect Production Process via Genetic Algorithm. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 42, 977, 900 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Parthasarathi, G., Sarmah, S.P., Jenamani, M.: Supply chain coordination under retail competition using stock dependent price-setting newsvendor framework. International Journal of Operational Research, 1–21 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Saha, S., Das, S., Basu, M.: Supply chain coordination under stock and price-dependent selling rates under declining Market. Advances in Operations Research, 14 p, Article ID 375128 (2012)Google Scholar
- 24.Sana, S.S.: Price sensitive demand with random sales price—a newsboy problem. International Journal of Systems Science (in press)Google Scholar
- 27.Valliathal, M., Uthayakumar, R.: Designing a new computational approach of partial backlogging on the economic production quantity model for deteriorating items with non-linear holding cost under inflationary conditions. Optimization Letters, 1–16 (2010)Google Scholar