A Dichotomy of the Application of Genetic Algorithms in the Optimal Design of Multirate Filter Banks
This paper considers theoretical issues regarding reconstruction errors and conditions for near perfect reconstruction (PR) of the input signal for a uniform and non-uniform multiband multirate filter banks. The main emphasis is on the application of genetic algorithms in the optimization process of the design of the two forms of filter banks with further consideration of a dichotomy of design issues and optimization of the uniform and non-uniform filter banks. The issues of design of uniform multiband filter banks is based on the use of a single prototype square root raised cosine low pass filter from which the multiband filters are derived using cosine modulation technique. On the other hand, non-uniform multiband filter banks are designed using multiple square root raised cosine prototype filters from which the analysis and synthesis filters are derived using the closed form approximation. The optimization process using genetic algorithms is thus based on perturbing the bandwidth and roll-off factor of the prototype filters to generate near-optimal results.
KeywordsOptimization uniform multirate filter bank non-uniform multirate filter bank genetic algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baicher, G.S.: Real-time implementation of a class of quadrature mirror filter bank using Genetic Algorithms. In: IEEE International Conference on Bio-inspired Computing–Theory and Practice BIC-TA, Liverpool (2010) Google Scholar
- 2.Vaidyanathan, P.P.: Theory and design of M-channel maximally decimated quadrature mirror filters with arbitrary M, having perfect reconstruction property. IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing ASSP-35, 476–492 (1987) Google Scholar
- 3.Vaidyanathan, P.P.: Multirate systems and filter banks. Prentice-Hall (1993) Google Scholar
- 4.Hoang, P.-Q., Vaidyanathan, P.P.: Non-uniform multirate filter banks: theory and design. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits Syst., Portland, OR, pp. 371–374 (1989) Google Scholar
- 5.Wada, S.: Design of non-uniform division multirate FIR filter banks. IEEE Trans. Ccts. and Sys. – II 42(2) (1995) Google Scholar
- 6.Jeong-jin, L., Byeong, G.L.: A design of nonuniform co-sine modulated filter banks. IEEE Trans. on Ccts. and Sys. 42(11), 732–737 (1995) Google Scholar
- 7.Argenti, F., Del Re, E.: Non-uniform filter banks based on a multi-prototype cosine modulation. In: Proc. IEEE ICASSP, Atlanta, GA, pp. 1511–1514 (1996) Google Scholar
- 8.Fliege, N.J.: Multirate Digital Signal Processing. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (1993) Google Scholar
- 9.Chipperfield, A., Fleming, P., Pohlheim, H., Fonseca, C.: Genetic Algorithm Toolbox for use with MATLAB, ver. 1.2. Department of Automatic Control Systems Engineer-ing, University of Sheffield, UK (1993) Google Scholar
- 10.Baicher, G.S.: Optimal Design of a class of M-Channel Uniform Filter Bank using Genetic Algorithms. In: IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications, Dubai (2007) Google Scholar