Differential Evolution Strategies for Multi-objective Optimization
Multi-objective optimization (MOO) using evolutionary algorithms has gained popularity in the recent past due to its ability of producing number of solutions in a single run and handling multiple objectives simultaneously. In this effort, several MOO algorithms are developed. In this manuscript several strategies of multi-objective differential evolution algorithm (namely, MODE-I, MODE-III, elitist MODE and hybrid MODE) are briefly discussed. Three important unconstrained test problems are considered for validating the performance (in terms of Pareto front and convergence & diversity metrics) of strategies of MODE algorithm with other popular algorithms from literature. It is observed that the strategies of MODE algorithm are in general able to produce Pareto front with good convergence to the true Pareto front.
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Multi-objective Differential Evolution (MODE) Evolutionary Algorithms (EAs) Pareto front Multi-objective optimization (MOO)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Back, T.: Evolutionary algorithms in theory and practice. Oxford University Press, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Tan, K.C., Khor, E.F., Lee, T.H.: Multi-objective evolutionary algorithms and applications. Springer, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Price, K.V., Storn, R.: Differential evolution - a simple evolution strategy for fast optimization. Dr. Dobb’s J. 22, 18–22 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Babu, B.V.: Process plant simulation. Oxford Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Angira, R.: Evolutionary computation for optimization of selected nonlinear chemical processes. Ph. D. Thesis, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, India (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Babu, B.V., Gujarathi, A.M.: Elitist-Multi-Objective Differential Evolution (E-MODE) Algorithm for Multi-Objective Optimization. In: Proceedings of 3rd Indian International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IICAI 2007), Pune, pp. 441–456 (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Gujarathi, A.M., Babu, B.V.: Elitist Multi-Objective Differential Evolution Algorithm for Multi-Objective Optimization of Industrial Styrene Reactor. App. Comput. Intel. Soft. Comp. (accepted) (in Press)Google Scholar
- 24.Schaffer, J.D.: Some experiments in machine learning using vector evaluated genetic algorithms. Ph. D. Thesis, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, T.N (1985)Google Scholar