Beard Hair Transplantation
There has been an increase in demand for aesthetic beard transplantation, as well as for reconstruction, through advertisements featuring unshaven popular Hollywood celebrities, as well as the current style to have beards, which are now in vogue. In addition, the current techniques in beard transplantation, which achieve overwhelming results in both naturalness and optimal coverage, contribute to its popularity.
The basis of beard transplantation is similar to that of the scalp; however, beard hair has anatomical and ethnical distinctions from scalp hair; thus, it is critical to understand their unique features to obtain the optimal results.
KeywordsHair Beard transplantation Goatee Moustache
- 1.Okuda S. Clinical and experimental studies on hair transplanting of living hair. Jpn J Dermatol Urol. 1939;46:537–87. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 2.International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. 2015 practice census results. Chicago, IL: ISHRS; 2015.Google Scholar
- 3.Yu JM, Yu AY. Practical guide to bear hair transplantation. In: Unger W, Shapiro R, et al., editors. Hair transplantation. 5th ed. UK: Informa; 2011. p. 300–4.Google Scholar
- 4.Dua K, Dua A. Facial hair transplantation. Hair Transplant Forum Int. 2015;25:133–42.Google Scholar
- 5.Tolgyesi E, Coble DW, Fang FS, Kairinen EO. A comparative study of beard and scalp hair. J Soc Cosmt Chem. 1983;34:361–82.Google Scholar
- 6.True RH. Harvesting follicular units from the body for scalp repair. In: Lam SM, editor. Hair transplant 360 vol. 3. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2014. p. 339–48.Google Scholar
- 7.Tosti A, Piraccini BM. The normal hair. In: Diagnosis and treatment of hair disorders. UK: Tayer & Francis; 2006. p. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 8.True R, Dua K, Akaki T, et al. Beard chat. Hair Transplant Forum Int. 2015;25:156.Google Scholar
- 9.Kuelachi M. Moustache and beard hair transplanting. In: Unger W, Shapiro R, et al., editors. Hair transplantation. 5th ed. UK: Informa; 2011. p. 464–6.Google Scholar