Photochromism of Naphthopyrans Possessing a Spirophenanthrene Unit and the Ophthalmic Lens Comprising of Them
In this chapter, the photochromic properties of naphthopyrans applicable to plastic photochromic lenses are described. In particular, introduction of electron-donating groups on the skeleton of a naphthopyran, 3,3-diphenyspiro[benzofluorenopyran-cyclopentaphenanthrene], and their effects are discussed in detail. Introduction of a methoxy group to C6 caused the bathochromic shift of the absorption band of the MC form. Further introduction of methoxy groups to the para-position of the phenyl groups on C3 induced faster decoloration of the MC form. Additional introduction of a methoxy group to C11 increased the absorbance. These naphthopyrans, however, showed poor photochromic properties in a solid matrix compared with those in solution. The matrix design of the plastic photochromic lenses to make the most of the potential property of naphthopyrans as well as to maintain the required properties as ophthalmic lenses is also described.
KeywordsPhotochromism Naphthopyran Ophthalmic lenses Phenanthrene Substituent effect
We are heartily grateful to the co-workers of Tokuyama Corp. for supporting this work.
- 4.Song L, Yang Y, Zhang Q, Tian H, Zhu W (2011) Synthesis and photochromism of naphthopyrans bearing naphthalimide chromophore: predominant thermal reversibility in color-fading and fluorescence switch. J Photochem Photobiol A Chem 115:14648–14658Google Scholar
- 7.Van Gemert B (1999) Benzo and naphthopyrans (chromens). In: Crano JC, Guglielmetti RJ (eds) Organic photochromic and thermochromic compounds, vol 1. Plenum, New York, pp 111–140Google Scholar
- 10.Clarke DA, Heron BM, Gabbutt CD, Hepworth JD, Partington SM, Corns SN (1999) pH sensitive photochromic dyes. US Pat WO99/031081Google Scholar
- 11.Kumar A, Van Gemert B, Knowles DB (1995) Substituted naphthopyrans. US Pat 5(458):814Google Scholar
- 12.Clarke DA, Heron BM, Gabbutt CD, Hepworth JD, Partington SM, Corns SN (2002) Photochromic substituted 2H-naphtho[1,2-b]pyrans. US Pat WO00/35902Google Scholar
- 13.Van Gemert B (1996) Novel photochromic indeno-fused naphthopyrans. US Pat WO96/14596Google Scholar