- 602 Downloads
Sperm cryopreservation, the preservation and storage of sperm for future use, is an efficient procedure for the management of male fertility and is now routinely offered to men as a means of preserving their fertility. Cryopreservation should be discussed and offered prior to cytotoxic therapy for not only malignant diseases but also nonmalignant systemic diseases such as autoimmune disorders or inflammatory bowel disease. There are many important steps in the process of successful cryopreservation. Freezing and thawing should be performed using techniques that minimize sperm damage. Although sperm banking is now a common technique all over the world, little has been written about the clinical process. In this chapter, we provide an overview of sperm cryopreservation, including its history and the methods used for cryopreservation. We also provide the indications of sperm cryopreservation and scientific background of the procedures.
KeywordsCryopreservation Fertility preservation History Sperm
- 3.Walters EM, Benson JD, Woods EJ et al (2009) The history of sperm cryopreservation. In: Pacey AA, Tomlinson M (eds) Sperm banking theory and practice. Cambridge University Press, London, pp 1–17Google Scholar
- 14.Meistrich ML (2009) Effect of antineoplastic and other medical treatments on sperm production. In: Pacey AA, Tomlinson M (eds) Sperm banking theory and practice. Cambridge University Press, London, pp 18–29Google Scholar
- 20.Gupta S, Agarwal A, Sharma R (2011) Recovery, preparation, storage and utilization of spermatozoa for fertility preservation in cancer patients and subfertile men. J Reprod Stem Cell Biotechnol 1:150–168Google Scholar
- 21.World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research (2010) WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen, 5th edn.Google Scholar
- 28.Tomlinson MJ (2009) Sperm processing and storage. In: Pacey AA, Tomlinson M (eds) Sperm banking theory and practice. Cambridge University Press, London, pp 86–104Google Scholar