A Phase Field Approach to Mathematical Modeling of Crack Propagation
We consider a phase field model for crack propagation in an elastic body. The model is derived as an irreversible gradient flow of the Francfort-Marigo energy with the Ambrosio-Tortorelli regularization and is consistent to the classical Griffith theory. Some numerical examples computed by adaptive mesh finite element method are presented.
KeywordsAdaptive mesh finite element method Crack propagation Fracture mechanics Irreversible system Phase field model
This work was partially supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 00268666.
- 1.G. Akagi, M. Kimura, Well-posedness and long time behavior for an irreversible diffusion equation (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 2.L. Ambrosio, V.M. Tortorelli, On the approximation of free discontinuity problems. Boll. Un. Mat. Ital. 6-B(7), 105–123 (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.B. Bourdin, The variational formulation of brittle fracture: numerical implementation and extensions, in IUTAM Symposium on discretization methods for evolving discontinuities, ed. by T. Belytschko, A. Combescure, R. de Borst. (Springer, 2007), pp. 381–393Google Scholar
- 7.B. Bourdin, G.A. Francfort, J.-J. Marigo, The Variational Approach to Fracture. (Springer, 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.M. Buliga, Energy minimizing brittle crack propagation. J. Elast. 52, 201–238 (1998/99)Google Scholar
- 9.P.A. Cundall, A computer model for simulating progressive large scale movements in blocky rock systems, in Proceedings of the Symposium of the International Society for Rock Mechanics, Nancy, vol. 2, pp. 129–136 (1971)Google Scholar
- 17.M. Kimura, H. Komura, M. Mimura, H. Miyoshi, T. Takaishi, D. Ueyama, Adaptive mesh finite element method for pattern dynamics in reaction-diffusion systems, in Proceedings of the Czech-Japanese Seminar in Applied Mathematics 2005, COE Lecture Note, vol. 3, Faculty of Mathematics, Kyushu University ISSN 1881–4042 (2006), pp. 56–68Google Scholar
- 18.M. Kimura, H. Komura, M. Mimura, H. Miyoshi, T. Takaishi, D. Ueyama, Quantitative study of adaptive mesh FEM with localization index of pattern. in Proceedings of the Czech-Japanese Seminar in Applied Mathematics 2006, COE Lecture Note, vol. 6, Faculty of Mathematics, Kyushu University ISSN 1881–4042 (2007), pp. 114–136Google Scholar
- 19.M. Kimura, T. Takaishi, Phase field models for crack propagation. Theor. Appl. Mech. Jpn. 59, 85–90 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.A. Munjiza, The Combined Finite-Discrete Element Method. (Wiley, New York, 2004)Google Scholar
- 23.A. Schmidt, K.G. Siebert, Design of adaptive finite element software. the finite element toolbox ALBERTA, in Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, vol. 42, (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005)Google Scholar
- 24.T. Takaishi, Numerical simulations of a phase field model for mode III crack growth. Trans. Jpn. Soc. Ind. Appl. Math. 19, 351–369 (2009) (in Japanese)Google Scholar