Developing Mathematicians for Industry Research Teams
Interdisciplinary teams are of increasing importance and mathematicians can be valuable contributors to them. Mathematicians can be leaders, not just reactive problem solvers in these teams. PhD training for mathematicians should be augmented so that graduates are best able to contribute in this environment. The nature of some new PhD programs is described together with detail of the program of the Industry Doctoral Training Centre of the Australian Technology Network of Universities.
KeywordsIndustrial mathematics Doctoral training Research teams Education Workplace
The ATN Industry Doctoral Training Centre was set up by a number of people including Ms Vicki Thomson, Prof Attila Brungs and the Foundation Director, Prof Lee White. I commend their vision and efforts and thank them for their support to continue the development of the IDTC.
- 1.Agnew, J.L., Keener, M.: A case-study course in applied mathematics using regional industries. Am. Math. Mon. 87(1), 55–59 (1980). Article Stable. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2320385
- 2.Anonymous: The disposable academic. The Economist. http://www.economist.com/node/17723223 (2010)
- 3.Australian Bureau of Statistics: Statistical skills for official statisticians. Booklet and web PDF (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Boen, J.R., Zahn, D.: The human side of statistical consulting. Lifetime Learning Publications, Belmont (1982)Google Scholar
- 5.Box, G.: An Accidental Statistician: The Life and Memories of George E.P. Box. Wiley, New Jersey (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Cabrera, J., McDougall, A.: Statistical Consulting. Springer, Berlin (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Cameron, M.: Training statisticians for a research organisation. In: Bulletin of 57th Session of International Statistical Institute (ISI), vol. 57 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Committee for Mathematical Sciences in 2025: The mathematical sciences in 2025. Technical report, National Research Council (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Gibbons, K., MacGillivray, H.: Education for a workplace statistician. In: MacGillivray, H.L., Martin, M., Phillips, B. (eds.) Topics from Australian Conference on Teaching Statistics: OZCOTS 2008–2012. Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Group of Eight: The changing phd. Technical report, Group of Eight. http://www.go8.edu.au/university-staff/go8-policy-and-analysis/2013/the-changing-phd (2013)
- 11.SIAM: The SIAM report on mathematics in industry. Technical report, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.SIAM: Mathematics in industry. Technical report, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2012)Google Scholar