Green Information Systems for Sustainable IT
We present the approach to green information systems adopted in the Green Active Management of Energy in IT Service centres (GAMES) Project. The goal of GAMES is to develop methodologies, models, and tools to reduce the environmental impact of information systems at all levels, from application and services to physical machines and IT plants. This paper focuses on models and methods for the analysis and reduction of the energy consumption associated with applications which are made energy-aware through annotations and Green Performance Indicators (GPI) in applications.
This work is supported by the GAMES project6 and partly funded by the European Commission’s IST activity of the 7th Framework Program, under Contract n. ICT-248514. The opinions in this work are of the authors and not necessarily of the European Commission. The Commission is not liable for any use that may be made of information in this work.
- 1.Chase, J. S., Anderson, D. C., Thakar, P. N., Vahdat, A. M., and Doyle, R. P. (2001). Managing Energy and Server Resources in Hosting Centres, SIGOPS Oper. Syst. Rev., 35(5),103:116.Google Scholar
- 2.Bertoncini, M., Pernici, B., Salomie, I., and Wesner, S., GAMES: Green Active Management of Energy in IT Service Centers, CAiSE Forum, Hammamet, Tunisia, June 2010.Google Scholar
- 3.David, F., Strategic Management, Merrill Publishing Company, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Zeng L., Benatallah B., Dumas, M., Kalagnanam, J., and Sheng, Q., Quality Driven Web Services Composition, In Proc. 12th WWW Conference, 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.Fugini, M.G., Gangadharan, G.R., and Pernici, B., Designing and Managing Sustainable IT Service Systems, APMS 2010 Intl. Conf. on Competitive and Sustainable Manufacturing, Products and Services, Cernobbio, Italy, October 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.van Bon,J., de Jong, A., Kolthof, A., Pieper, M., Rozemeijer, E., Tjassing, R., van der Veen, A., and Verheijen, T., IT Service Management-An Introduction. Van Heren Publishing, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Brown, D., and Reams, C., Toward Energy-Efficient Computing, Comm. of the ACM, 53(3), March 2010.Google Scholar
- 8.Sekiguchi, S., Itoh, S., Sato, M., and Nakamura, H., Service Aware Metric for Energy Efficiency in Green Data Centers. 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Nie, Z., Jiang, Z., Liu, J., Yang, H., Performance Analysis of Generalized Well-formed Workflow, 8th IEEE/ACIS Int. Conf. on Computer and Information Science (ICIS 2009), Shanghai June 2009, 666:671.Google Scholar