An Alternative Modeling Approach for an Integrated Simulation and Optimization of a Class of Production Networks
We present a new modeling approach for production networks, which can be used for both simulation and optimization. It makes use of only a few general assumptions, such that it is applicable to a variety of problems. We survey the underlying fundamentals, derive a basic model based on partial differential equations and show its relation to linear mixed-integer programming. The mixed-integer model allows for simulation and optimization of dynamic time dependent production processes, and can be solved using standard software. Computational results are presented along a realworld industrial case study.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Armbruster D, de Beer C, Freitag M, Jagalski T, Ringhofer C (2005) Autonomous Control of Production Networks using a Pheromone Approach. Preprint, submitted to Physica.Google Scholar
- 3.Baumol WJ (1970) Economic Dynamics, 3rd edition. Macmillan, New York.Google Scholar
- 5.Forrester JW (1964) Industrial Dynamics, 3rd print. MIT Press, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- 6.Fügenschuh A, Göttlich S, Herty M, Klar A, Martin A (2006), A Mixed-Integer Programming Approach for the Optimization of Continuous Models in Supply Chain Management, submitted to M3AS.Google Scholar
- 8.Fügenschuh A, Martin A (2005), Computational Integer Programming and Cutting Planes. In: K. Aardal, G. Nemhauser, R. Weissmantel (eds.), “Handbook on Discrete Optimization”, Series “Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science”. Elsevier, 69–122.Google Scholar
- 10.Göttlich S, Herty M, Klar A (2006) Modelling and optimization of supply chains on complex networks. Communications in Mathematical Sciences (CMS) 4(2): 315–330.Google Scholar
- 11.Günther HO, Mattfeld DC, Suhl L (Eds) (2005) Supply Chain Management und Logistik-Optimierung, Simulation, Decision Support. Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- 12.Günther HO, van Beek P (Eds.) (2003) Advanced Planning and Scheduling Solutions in Process Industry. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 13.Mattheij R.M.M, Rienstra S.W, ten Thije Boonkkamp J.H.M. (2005), Partial Differential Equations — Modeling, Analysis, Computation. SIAM Monographs on Mathematical Modeling and Computation. SIAM, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- 14.Nemhauser G, Wolsey LA. (1999) Integer and Combinatorial Optimization. Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- 15.ILOG CPLEX Division, 889 Alder Avenue, Suite 200, Incline Village, NV 89451, USA. Information available at URL http://www.cplex.com.Google Scholar
- 16.Simchi-Levi D, Kaminsky P, Simchi-Levi E (2003) Managing the Supply Chain: the definitive guide for the business. McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar