Diffraction by a Strip and by a Half-plane with Variable Face Impedances
A study is presented for boundary value problems arising from the wave diffraction theory and involving variable impedance conditions. Two different geometrical situations are considered: the diffraction by a strip and by a half-plane. In the first case, both situations of real and complex wave numbers are analyzed, and in the second case only the complex wave number case is considered. At the end, conditions are founded for the well-posedness of the problems in Bessel potential space settings. These conditions depend on the wave numbers and the impedance properties.
KeywordsWave diffraction boundary value problem Helmholtz equation impedance problem well-posedness pseudo-differential equations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L.P. Castro, Solution of a Sommerfeld diffraction problem with a real wave number. In: C. Constanda, M. Ahues, A. Largillier (Eds.), Integral Methods in Science and Engineering, Birkhäuser, Boston, MA, 2004, pp. 25–30.Google Scholar
- L.P. Castro, D. Kapanadze, Wave diffraction by a strip with first and second kind boundary conditions: the real wave number case, Math. Nachr., 12 pp., to appear.Google Scholar
- L.P. Castro, D. Kapanadze, The impedance boundary-value problem in a strip for Helmholtz equation, Preprint CM I-09 (2006), Department of Mathematics, University of Aveiro, 15pp.Google Scholar
- L.P. Castro, D. Kapanadze, On wave diffraction by a half-plane with different face impedances, Math. Methods Appl. Sci., 18pp., to appear.Google Scholar
- D. Colton, R. Kress, Inverse Acoustic and Electronic Scattering Theory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1998.Google Scholar
- E. Meister, Some multiple-part Wiener-Hopf problems in mathematical physics. In: Mathematical Models and Methods in Mechanics, Banach Center Publications 15, PWN-Polish Scientific Publishers, Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Mathematics, Warsaw, 1985, pp. 359–407.Google Scholar
- S.L. Sobolev, Partial Differential Equations of Mathematical Physics (English translation), Dover Publications, New-York, 1989.Google Scholar
- I. Vekua, On metaharmonic functions, Trudy Tbilisskogo Matematicheskogo Instituta 12 (1943), 105–174 (in Russian; an English translation is in I. Vekua, New Methods for Solving Elliptic Equations, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1967).Google Scholar