Geodesic Flow on the Normal Congruence of a Minimal Surface
We study the geodesic flow on the normal line congruence of a minimal surface in ℝ3 induced by the neutral Kähler metric on the space of oriented lines. The metric is lorentz with isolated degenerate points and the flow is shown to be completely integrable. In addition, we give a new holomorphic description of minimal surfaces in ℝ3 and relate it to the classical Weierstrass representation.
KeywordsGeodesic flow minimal surface oriented lines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. Arnold and A. Givental, Symplectic geometry, in Encycl. of Math. Sci. 4, Springer-Verlag, New York, (1990) 1–136.Google Scholar
- M.A. Guest, Harmonic maps, loop groups and integrable systems, LMS Student Texts 38, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1997).Google Scholar
- B. Guilfoyle and W. Klingenberg, An indefinite Kähler metric on the space of oriented lines, J. London Math. Soc. 72, (2005) 497–509.Google Scholar
- B. Guilfoyle and W. Klingenberg, Geodesic flow on global holomorphic sections of TS 2, Bull. Belg. Math. Soc. 13 (2006) 1–9.Google Scholar
- J. Moser, Various aspects of integrable Hamiltonian systems, in Dynamical systems (C.I.M.E. Summer School, Bressanone, 1978) Progr. Math. 8, Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass., (1980) 233–289.Google Scholar