Acute Surgery for Ruptured Posterior Circulation Aneurysms
- 32 Downloads
The timing of surgery to obliterate ruptured intracranial aneurysms remains controversial. Although recent studies, which were uncontrolled, suggested a slight benefit to early surgery for aneurysms of the anterior circulation, the relative infrequency of aneurysms of the vertebral-basilar circulation has made the question of when to operate on these aneurysms even more uncertain15. Our experience with more than 1400 operated cases of aneurysms of the posterior circulation has made the surgical approach to the confining space in front of the brain stem quite routine. Nevertheless, most of the cases were operated upon 10 to 14 days following their last subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and after the immediate effects of the hemorrhage and the consequences of the hemorrhage had passed. As well, there is little recorded evidence of an advantage or disadvantage of early surgery for these uncommon aneurysms2,12,23,27. This report documents our experience with early operation in ruptured posterior circulation aneurysms during the past 15 years.
KeywordsBasilar Artery Intracranial Aneurysm Posterior Circulation Anterior Circulation Basilar Artery Occlusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Duvoisin RC, Yahr MD (1965) Posterior fossa aneurysms. Neurology (Minneap) 15: 231–241Google Scholar
- 15.Kassell NF, Torner JC, Jane JA (1985) International Cooperative Study on Timing of Aneurysm Surgery—Preliminary Report. Early versus Late Planned Surgery. Presented at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GeorgiaGoogle Scholar
- 17.Locksley HB (1969) Natural History of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. In: Sal AL, Perret GE, Locksley HB et al (eds) Intracranial aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 37–108Google Scholar
- 20.Peerless SJ, Drake CG (1985) Posterior circulation aneurysms. In: Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS (eds) Neurosurgery. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 1422–1437Google Scholar
- 21.Peerless SJ, Drake CG (in press) Mangement of aneurysms of posterior circulation. In: Youmans JR (ed) Neurological surgery, 3rd edn. Saunders, Philadelphia Google Scholar