Theory and Practice of Microdialysis — Prospect for Future Clinical Use
The application of microdialysis for neurochemical monitoring in neurosurgery and neurointensive care is rapidly expanding in a number of clinical centers around the world. In order for microdialysis to become a future routine method in these clinical settings a number of problems, outlined in this communication, must be solved by the clinical researchers and the commercial companies. Regardless of the future success as a routine method, it is already obvious that microdialysis will be an important clinical research tool for years to come, providing new important insights into the pathophysiology of acute human brain injury.
KeywordsMicrodialysis neurochemical monitoring brain injury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Enblad P, Valtysson J, Andersson J, Lilja A, Valind S, Antoni G, Långström B, Hillered L, Persson L (1996) Simultaneous intracerebral microdialysis and positron emission tomography performed in the detection of ischemia in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 16: 637–644PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Goodman JC, Gopinath SP, Valadka AB, Narayan RK, Grossman RG, Simpson RK Jr, Robertson CS (1996) Lactic acid and amino acid fluctuations measured using microdialysis reflect physiological derangements in head injury. Acta Neurochir [Suppl] (Wien) 67: 37–39Google Scholar
- 10.Harmani C, Luer MS, Dujovny M (1997) Microdialysis in the human brain: review of its applications. Neurol Res 19:281–288Google Scholar
- 12.Hillered L. Valtysson J, Enblad P, Persson L (1997) Extracellular glycerol as a marker for membrane lipid degradation in the acutely injured human brain. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry (in press)Google Scholar
- 17.Lönnroth P, Jansson P-A, Smith U (1987) A microdialysis method allowing characterization of intercellular water space in humans. Am J Physiol E253: E228-E231Google Scholar
- 20.Persson L, Hillered L (1996) Intracerebral microdialysis. Letter to the editor. J Neurosurg 85: 984–985Google Scholar
- 23.Robinson T, Justice JB (1991) Microdialysis in the neurosciences. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar