Implementation of a 3D Virtual Drummer
We describe a part of a system which generates a 3D animated drummer based on the contents of a sound wave. The focus of this paper will be on the automatic generation of 3D animations, based on an abstract representation of the music (a MIDI file). The system is implemented in Java and uses the Java3D API for visualisation.
KeywordsEvent Type Time Stamp Computer Animation Event List Midi File
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Desain and H. Honing. Can music cognition benefit from computer music research? from foot tapper systems to beat induction models. In Proceedings of the ICMPC, pages 397–398, Liege: ESCOM, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.J. D. Foley, A. van Dam, S. K. Feiner, and J. F. Hughes. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, second. edition, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Goto and Y. Muraoka. Music understanding at the beat level: Real-time beat tracking for audio signals. In Working Notes of the IJCAI-95 Workshop on Computational Auditory Scene Analysis, pages 68–75, Montreal, Aug. 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.The Java3D API. http://java.sun.comlproductsljava-medial3D/.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Kim. Computer animation of pianist’s hand. In Eurographics’ 99 Short Papers and Demos, pages 117–120, Milan, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Kragtwijk, A. Nijholt, and J. Zwiers. An animated virtual drummer. In Proceedings of the ICAV3D International Conference on Augmented, Virtual Environments and ThreeDimensional Imaging, pages 319–322, Mykonos, Greece, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.The general midi specification. http://www.midi.org/about-midi/gm/gm1sound.htm.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Nijholt and J. Hulstijn. Multimodal interactions with agents in virtual worlds. In N. Kasabov, editor, Future Directionsfor Intelligent Systems and Information Science, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, chapter 8, pages 148–173. Physica-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Web3d consortium. http://www.vrml.org/.Google Scholar
- 11.V. B. Zordan and J. K. Hodgins. Tracking and modifying upper-body human motion data with dynamic simulation. In Computer Animation and Simulation’ 99. Springer-Verlag Wien, 1999.Google Scholar