Applications of Artificial Neural Nets in Structural Mechanics
A brief introduction to the fundamentals of Neural Nets is given first, followed by two applications in structural optimization. In the first case the feasibility of simulating with neural nets the many structural analyses performed during optimization iterations was studied. In the second case the concept of using neural nets to capture design expertese was investigated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rehak, D. R.; Thewalt, C. R.; and Doo, L. L.: Neural Network Approaches in Structural Mechanics Computations. Computer Utilization in Structural Engineering, ed. J. J. Nelson, Jr., ASCE PRoceedings from Structures Congress 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.McAulay, A. D.: Optical Neural Network for Engineering Design. NAECON, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Bennet, J.; Creary, L.; Engelmore, R.; and Melosh, R.: SACON: A Knowledge-Based Consultant for Structural Analysis. Stanford Heuristic Programming Project, Computer Science Department Report No. STAN-CS78–699, September 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Melosh, R. J.; Berke, L.; and Marcal, P. V.: Knowledge-Based Consultation for Selecting a Structural Analysis Strategy, NASA Conference Publication 2059, November 1978.Google Scholar
- 5.Rummelhart, D. E., and McCleland, J. L.: Parallel Distributed Processing, Volume 1: Foundations. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Yoh-Han Pao: Adaptive Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Baffes, P. T.: NETS 2.0 User’s Guide. LSC-23366, NASA Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, September 1989.Google Scholar