Tiling Freeform Shapes With Straight Panels: Algorithmic Methods.
This paper shows design studies with bent panels which are originally rectangular or at least approximately rectangular. Based on recent results obtained in the geometry processing community, we algorithmically approach the questions of an exact rectangular shape of panels; of watertightness of the resulting paneling; and of the panel shapes being achievable by pure bending. We conclude the paper with an analysis of stress and strain in bent and twisted panels.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cazals, F., and Pouget, M. 2003. Estimating differential quantities using polynomial fitting of osculating jets. In Symp. Geometry processing, Eurographics, L. Kobbelt, P. Schröder, and H. Hoppe, Eds., 177–178.Google Scholar
- Chen, J., and Han, Y. 1996. Shortest paths on a polyhedron. I. Computing shortest paths. Int. J. Comput. Geom. Appl. 6, 127–144.Google Scholar
- do Carmo, M. 1976. Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces. Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Kahlert, J., Olson, M., and Zhang, H. 2010. Width-bounded geodesic strips for surface tiling. Vis. Computer. to appear.Google Scholar
- Kimmel, R., and Sethian, J. A. 1998. Computing geodesic paths on manifolds. PNAS 95, 8431–8435.Google Scholar
- Pirazzi, C., and Weinand, Y. 2006. Geodesic lines on free-form surfaces: optimized grids for timber rib shells. In Proc. World Conference on Timber Engineering. 7pp.Google Scholar
- Polthier, K., and Schmies, M. 1998. Straightest geodesics on polyhedral surfaces. In Mathematical Visualization, Springer, H.-C. Hege and K. Polthier, Eds., 391–409.Google Scholar
- Pottmann, H., Schiftner, A., Bo, P., Schmiedhofer, H., Wang, W., Baldassini, N., and Wallner, J. 2008. Freeform surfaces from single curved panels. ACM Trans. Graphics 27, 3, #76, 1–10. Proc. SIGGRAPH.Google Scholar
- Pottmann, H., Huang, Q., Deng, B., Schiftner, A., Kilian, M., Guibas, L., and Wallner, J. 2010. Geodesic patterns. ACM Trans. Graphics 29, 4, #43, 1–10. Proc. SIGGRAPH.Google Scholar
- Rose, K., Sheffer, A., Wither, J., Cani, M., and Thibert, B. 2007. Developable surfaces from arbitrary sketched boundaries. In Symp. Geom. Processing, A. Belyaev and M. Garland, Eds. 163–172.Google Scholar
- Shelden, D. 2002. Digital surface representation and the constructibility of Gehry’s architecture. PhD thesis, M.I.T.Google Scholar
- Spuybroek, L. 2004. NOX: Machining Architecture. Thames & Hudson.Google Scholar
- Surazhsky, V., Surazhsky, T., Kirsanov, D., Gortler, S., and Hoppe, H. 2005. Fast exact and approximate geodesics on meshes. ACM Trans. Graphics 24, 3, 553–560. Proc. SIGGRAPH.Google Scholar