Experimental Investigation of Laminar Separation Bubbles
- 229 Downloads
Laminar separation bubbles play an important role in the flow about airfoils at Reynolds numbers below 3 millions in incompressible flows. Drag as well as stall behaviour can be deteriorated considerably. Designing or analysing airfoils in this flight regime, with some success, requires understanding of the flow phenomena envolved in the formation of these regions with locally separated flow. Detailed experimental studies were carried out on laminar separation bubbles that formed near the midchord of different airfoils at Reynolds numbers from 0.7 to 3 millions. Static pressure, hot wire anemometry, and flow visualisation data were acquired. The data were used to evaluate the applicability of existing separation bubble models. Some details of the materials gathered are presented in the following context.
KeywordsBoundary Layer Separation Bubble Wall Distance Linear Stability Theory Airfoil Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F.X. Wortmann and D. Althaus: Der Laminarwindkanal des Instituts für Aerodynamik und Gasdynamik der Technischen Hochschule Stuttgart.Google Scholar
- E. Dobbinga, J.L. van Ingen and J.W. Kooi: Some research on two dimensional laminar separation bubbles. AGARD-CPP-102,1972.Google Scholar
- C.Y. Liu and V.A. Sandborn: Evaluation of the sepatation properties of laminar boundary layers. The Aeronautical Quarterly,Aug. 1968, Vol.XIX.Google Scholar
- Green J.E.: Two dimensional turbulent reattachment as a boundary-layer problem. AGARD CP4,Pt. I, 1966.Google Scholar
- E.J. Fitzgerald and Th.J. Mueller:Measurements in a separation bubble on an airfoil using Laser Velocimetry. AIAA Journal, Vol. 28, Nr. 14, 1990.Google Scholar
- LeBlanc, P., Blackwelder, R., Liebeck, R.: A Comparison between Boundary Layer Measurements in a Laminar Separation Bubble Flow and Linear Stability Theory Calculations. Department of Aerospace Engineering University of Southern California.Google Scholar
- D. Althaus, W. Würz: SchluBbericht für die Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft über das Forschungsvorhaben: Experimentelle Untersuchung laminarer Ablöseblasen. Institutsbericht (1988).Google Scholar