Global Stability Analysis of 2-D Flows with Closed Separation Bubbles
- 223 Downloads
The work presented here describes the investigations of the non-parallel flow stability. The numerical results consist of ones obtained for the circular cylinder, ellipsis and airfoil. For the circular cylinder the critical Reynolds number was sought. The investigation of the eigenvector pattern near the cylinder showed the difference between the flow below and above the critical Reynolds number.
The most important conclusion from this study is that both, the onset of the Karman vortex street and the Tollmien-Schlichting wave are two different aspects of the same phenomenon, represented by non-parallel flow stability theory. The Tollmien-Schlichting wave and the wake instability are two different eigensolutions of the same problem. This conclusion changes significantly the range of possible applications of the non-parallel theory. However, the new demands considering numerical method have to be fulfilled.
KeywordsReynolds Number Circular Cylinder Stream Function Critical Reynolds Number Wake Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.Wolter, M.Morzynski, H.Schütz, F.Thiele, Numerische Untersuchungen zur Stabi- lität der Kreiszylinder-strömung, Z. angew. Math. Mech., 69, (1989), 6, 601–604.Google Scholar
- M. Morzynski, F.Thiele, Numerical stability analysis of a flow about a cylinder, Z. angew. Math. Mech., 71, (1991), 5, T424 - T428.Google Scholar
- C.P.Jackson, A Finite-Element study of the onset of vortex shedding in flow past variously shaped bodies, J. Fluid Mech. 182, (1987), 23–45.Google Scholar
- A.Zebib, Stability of viscous flow past a circular cylinder, J. of Eng. Math., 21, (1987), 155–165.Google Scholar
- I.Kim, A.J.Pearlstein, Stability of the flow past a sphere, J. Fluid Mech. 211, (1990), 73–93.Google Scholar
- M. Morzyński, F.Thiele, Non-parallel stability analysis of wake and boundary layer flow, Boundary Layer Control Conference, Cambridge, 9–12 April 1991, 15. 1–15. 11.Google Scholar
- M. Morzyński, F.Thiele, Global non-parallel stability analysis of wake and boundary layer flows, GAMM Jahrestagung, Krakow, 1–5 April 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Morzyński, F.Thiele, Stability investigations of airfoil flow by global analysis, Fifth Symposium on Numerical and Physical Aspects of Aerodynamic Flows, 13–15 January 1992, Long Beach, California.Google Scholar