This chapter discusses the various uses of databases as a successful tool for understanding customers. Using relevant industry examples, this chapter explains customer databases by categorizing the types of databases, illustrating the benefits of marketing databases, and highlighting the uses of marketing databases. The chapter shows the different levels and methods of categorizing the databases by their respective main business function, information content, active or passive approach, or structure. Further, the benefits of implementing each category of database that allow marketers to analyze and customers, classify them into different groups, and subsequently implement specialized marketing programs for each group, are illustrated. Finally, the uses of these databases that firms can deploy, including identifying profitable customers, improving communication to individual customers, and positively influencing various aspects of business operations are highlighted.
- Berg, M. D. (2015, October 28). Athena database pushes ad bounda-ries for best. Ad Age. http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/athena-database-pushes-ad-boundaries-buy/301094/. Accessed April 4, 2017.
- Concentrix. (2017). http://www.concentrix.co.uk/software/crm/case-studies/goldmine-premium-county-drains/. Accessed April 4, 2017.
- CRM Technology in Minority Report movie. (2002). CIO. http://www.cio.com/article/31319/CRM_Technology_in_Minority_Report_movie. Accessed September 15, 2011.
- Experian. (2015). The 2015 digital marketer report. Experian Marketing Services. https://www.experianplc.com/media/news/2015/linking-data-is-the-biggest-challenge-for-global-marketers/. Accessed April 4, 2017.
- Jackson, R., & Wang, P. (1994). Strategic database marketing (pp. 40–53). Framingham, MA: McGraw-Hill Education.Google Scholar
- Jancer, M. (2016, August 26). IBM’s Watson takes on yet another job, as a weather forecaster. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/ibms-watson-takes-yet-another-job-weather-forecaster-180960264/?no-ist. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Moscaritolo, A. (2017, February 2). H&R block enlists IBM Watson to find tax deductions. PC Magazine. http://www.pcmag.com/news/351508/h-r-block-enlists-ibm-watson-to-find-tax-deductions. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- PageFair. (2017). The state of the blocked web. 2017 Global Adblock Report. PageFair. https://pagefair.com/blog/2017/adblockreport/. Accessed April 4, 2017.
- Rust, R. T., Moorman, C., & Bhalla, G. (2010). Rethinking marketing. Harvard Business Review, 88(1–2), 94–101.Google Scholar
- Upbin, B. (2013, February 8). IBM’s Watson gets its first piece of business in healthcare. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2013/02/08/ibms-watson-gets-its-first-piece-of-business-in-healthcare/#276c91bd5402. Accessed March 17, 2017.