Content-Aware Image Retargeting Using Line-Based MLS Deformation
Content-aware image retargeting, also known as seam carving or content aware scaling, is an algorithm for image resizing developed in recent years. In this paper, we present a content-aware image retargeting method by combining the line-based Moving Least Squares (MLS) deformation and saliency map. We develop a salience-related weight of MLS deformation that allows manually defining regions in which pixels may not be moved. Therefore, the new image retargeting can change non-vital parts of the image while preserving local shapes in the areas with high saliency. Benefited from the line-based MLS deformation, our method can retarget image from rectangle to arbitrary polygon. When the constrained lines are at the interior of the boundary of image, our method can also deal with the artistic perspective manipulation problem well. The purpose of developing this algorithm is to display images without distortion on various media in the field of industrial, entertainment or artistic creation. Experimental results show that the proposed method outperforms existing methods in terms of visual performance.
KeywordsImage retargeting MLS deformation Saliency Animation
This work was supported by The Provincial Production Education and Research Major Projects under Grant No. 2009A 090100025.
- 2.Silveira, C.L.B., de Oliveira Mierlo, F., Luiz Gonzaga, J., da Costa, C.A., Farias, K., da Rosa Righi, R.: Faster seam carving with minimum energy windows. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 45–48 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Kiess, J., Gritzner, D., Guthier, B., Kopf, S., Effelsberg, W.: GPU video retargeting with parallelized seamcrop. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM Multimedia Systems Conference, pp. 139–147 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, Y., Lai, J., Du, X.: Vision-related MLS image deformation using saliency map. In: 6th International Conference on Image and Graphics (ICIG), pp. 193–198, August 2011Google Scholar
- 8.Harel, J., Koch, C., Perona, P.: Graph-based visual saliency. In: Proceedings of Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), pp. 545–552 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Duan, L., Wu, C., Miao, J., Qing, L., Fu, Y.: Visual saliency detection by spatially weighted dissimilarity. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), pp. 473–480, June 2011Google Scholar
- 10.Krahenbuhl, P., Lang, M., Hornung, A., Gross, M.: A system for retargeting of streaming video. ACM Transactions on Graphics: Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 28(5) (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Mitra, N.J., Wand, M., Zhang, H., Cohen-Or, D., Kim, V., Huang, Q.X.: Structure-aware shape processing. In: ACM SIGGRAPH Courses (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Gal, R., Sorkine, O., Cohen-Or, D.: Feature-aware texturing. In: Proceedings of Eurographics Symposium on Rendering, pp. 297–303 (2006)Google Scholar