Skip to main content

Anatomy and Blood Supply of the Sternum

  • Chapter

Zussamenfassung

The sternum is a sword-shaped flat bone about 15–17 cm long in the adult (◙ Fig. 2.1) (Putz and Müller-Gerbi Benninghoff 2003; Williams and Warwick 1980). Its cranial part, the manubrium, connects to the corpus by a synchondrosis in 90% of adults; in the remaining 10% there is a bony fusion (synostosis).

Keywords

  • Internal Mammary Artery
  • Internal Thoracic Artery
  • Ossification Center
  • Xiphoid Process
  • Deep Sternal Wound Infection

These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution.

Buying options

Chapter
USD   29.95
Price excludes VAT (USA)
  • DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-49766-1_2
  • Chapter length: 6 pages
  • Instant PDF download
  • Readable on all devices
  • Own it forever
  • Exclusive offer for individuals only
  • Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout
eBook
USD   64.99
Price excludes VAT (USA)
  • ISBN: 978-3-662-49766-1
  • Instant PDF download
  • Readable on all devices
  • Own it forever
  • Exclusive offer for individuals only
  • Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout
Softcover Book
USD   84.99
Price excludes VAT (USA)
Hardcover Book
USD   109.99
Price excludes VAT (USA)

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Author information

Authors and Affiliations

Authors

Editor information

Editors and Affiliations

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

Copyright information

© 2016 Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany

About this chapter

Cite this chapter

Neuhuber, W., Lyer, S., Alexiou, C., Buder, T. (2016). Anatomy and Blood Supply of the Sternum. In: Horch, R., Willy, C., Kutschka, I. (eds) Deep Sternal Wound Infections. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-49766-1_2

Download citation

  • DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-49766-1_2

  • Publisher Name: Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg

  • Print ISBN: 978-3-662-49764-7

  • Online ISBN: 978-3-662-49766-1

  • eBook Packages: MedicineMedicine (R0)