This first chapter provides an overview on financial economics and how to study it: you will learn how we have designed this textbook and how you can use it efficiently; we will give you an overview of the essence of financial economics and some of its central ideas; we will finally summarize how research in financial economics is done, what methods are used and how they interact with each other.
KeywordsFinancial Market Stock Return Asset Price Financial Economic Hedge Fund
- [Mal90]B.G. Malkiel, A Random Walk down Wall Street, Norton New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Mos98]W.S. Mossberg, Making Book on the Buck, Wall Street Journal (1998), 17.Google Scholar
- [Shi81]R.J. Shiller, Do Stock Prices Move too Much to Be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividents?, American Economic Review 71 (1981), 421–436.Google Scholar
- [Sor98]G. Soros, The Crisis of Global Capitalism: Open Society Endangered, Public Affairs, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Tha93]R.H. Thaler, Advances in Behavioral Finance, Russell Sage Foundation Publications, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Var93b]—————, What Use is Economic Theory?, Dept. of Economics, University of Michigan, 1993.Google Scholar