Computation of Stackelberg Equilibria of Finite Sequential Games
The Stackelberg equilibrium is a solution concept that describes optimal strategies to commit to: Player 1 (the leader) first commits to a strategy that is publicly announced, then Player 2 (the follower) plays a best response to the leader’s choice. We study Stackelberg equilibria in finite sequential (i.e., extensive-form) games and provide new exact algorithms, approximate algorithms, and hardness results for finding equilibria for several classes of such two-player games.
We would like to thank the reviewers for useful feedback. This work was supported by the Danish National Research Foundation and The National Science Foundation of China (under the grant 61361136003) for the Sino-Danish Center for the Theory of Interactive Computation, by the Center for Research in Foundations of Electronic Markets (CFEM) supported by the Danish Strategic Research Council, and by the Czech Science Foundation (grant no. 15-23235S).
- 1.Bosansky, B., Cermak, J.: Sequence-form algorithm for computing stackelberg equilibria in extensive-form games. In: Proceedings of AAAI (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Conitzer, V., Korzhyk, D.: Commitment to correlated strategies. In: Proceedings of AAAI, pp. 632–637 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Conitzer, V., Sandholm, T.: Computing the optimal strategy to commit to. In: Proceedings of ACM-EC, pp. 82–90 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Letchford, J.: Computational aspects of Stackelberg games. Ph.D. thesis, Duke University (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Letchford, J., Conitzer, V.: Computing optimal strategies to commit to in extensive-form games. In: Proceedings of ACM-EC, pp. 83–92. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Letchford, J., MacDermed, L., Conitzer, V., Parr, R., Isbell, C.L.: Computing optimal strategies to commit to in stochastic games. In: Proceedings of AAAI, pp. 1380–1386 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Paruchuri, P., Pearce, J., Marecki, J., Tambe, M., Ordonez, F., Kraus, S.: Playing games for security: an efficient exact algorithm for solving bayesian stackelberg games. In: Proceedings of AAMAS, pp. 895–902 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.von Stackelberg, H.: Marktform und gleichgewicht. Springer-Verlag (1934)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, H., Rabinovich, Z., Dughmi, S., Tambe, M.: Exploring information asymmetry in two-stage security games. In: Proceedings of AAAI (2015)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.