Sensitivity of Sensors Built in Smartphones
In our earlier researches we examined the reliability and accuracy of sensors used in outdoor positioning. Results have shown that they are not as reliable as many think. So the question rightly arises: what sensor could be the solution for indoor navigation. The sensitivity and resilience of smartphone sensors are currently unknown, and their reliability is also questionable because of the many distracting factors. However, studies also show that it is possible to decrease distraction-caused errors with the help of appropriate algorithms. Hence first we must define sensitivity of sensors and understand their operational principles to find the appropriate algorithms.
KeywordsIndoor positioning Accelerometer Gyroscope Sensors sensitivity Smart phones
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Binghao, L., James, S., Andrew, G.D., Chris, R.: Indoor positioning techniques based on wireless LAN. In: First IEEE Iinternational Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communications, pp. 27–8 (2013). doi:10.1.1.72.1265
- 2.Brachmann, F.: A Multi-Platform Software Framework for the Analysis of Multiple Sensor Techniques in Hybrid Positioning Systems (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Galvan-Tejada, C.E., Garcia-Vazquez, J.P., Brena, R.: Magnetic-field feature reduction for indoor location estimation applying multivariate models. In: 2013 12th Mexican International Conference on IEEE Artificial Intelligence (MICAI), pp. 128–132 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Mobile phone sensors. http://www.baike.baidu.com/view/9077573.htm
- 8.Stella, M., Russo, M., Begušić, D.: Fingerprinting based localization in heterogeneous wireless networks. In: Expert Systems with Applications (2014). doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2014.05.016
- 9.Seber, G.A., Lee, A.J.: Linear regression analysis, vol. 936. John Wiley & Sons (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Horvath, Z., Baranyi, A.: The problematics of indoor navigation. In: 10th International Miklos Ivanyi phd & dla Symposium Abstract Book, p. 53 (2014). ISBN 978-963-7298-56-1Google Scholar
- 11.Horvath, Z., Horvath, H.: More sensors or better algorithm? International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control (IJCCC) (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Horvath, Z., Horvath, H.: The Measurement Preciseness of the GPS Built in Smartphones and Tablets. International Journal on Electronics and Communication Technology 1(5), 17–19 (2014)Google Scholar