Computation of Daily Solar Radiation Using Wavelet and Support Vector Machines: A Case Study
The objective of this study is to apply a hybrid model for estimating solar radiation and investigate its accuracy. A hybrid model is wavelet-based support vector machines (WSVMs). Wavelet decomposition is employed to decompose the solar radiation time series components into approximation and detail components. These decomposed time series are then used as input of support vector machines (SVMs) modules in the WSVMs model. Based on statistical indexes, results indicate that WSVMs can successfully be used for the estimation of daily global solar radiation at Champaign and Springfield stations in Illinois.
KeywordsSupport vector machines Wavelet decomposition Solar radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allen, R.G., Pereira, L.S., Raes, D., Smith, M.: Crop evapotranspiration guidelines for computing crop water requirements. FAO Irrigation and Drainage. Paper No. 56. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Haykin, S.: Neural networks and learning machines, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall, NJ (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, S., Seo, Y., Singh, V.P.: Assessment of pan evaporation modeling using bootstrap resampling and soft computing methods. J. Comput. Civ. Eng. (2013a). doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000367
- 10.Kim, S., Shiri, J., Kisi, O., Singh, V.P.: Estimating daily pan evaporation using different data-driven methods and lag-time patterns. Water Resour. Manag. 27(7), 2267–2286 (2013b)Google Scholar
- 13.Nason, G.: Wavelet methods in statistics with R. Springer, NY (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Nejad, F.H., Nourani, V.: Elevation of wavelet denoising performance via an ANN-based streamflow forecasting model. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Manag. Res. 1(4), 764–770 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Principe, J.C., Euliano, N.R., Lefebvre, W.C.: Neural and adaptive systems: fundamentals through simulation. Wiley, John & Sons Inc., NY (2000)Google Scholar
- 18.Vapnik, V.N.: The nature of statistical learning theory, 2nd edn. Springer, NY (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.van Bavel, C.H.M.: Estimating soil moisture conditions and time for irrigation with the evapotranspiration method. USDA, ARS 41–11, U.S. Dept. of Agric., Raleigh, NC, 1–16 (1956)Google Scholar