Optimal Extraction of Bioactive Compounds from Gardenia Using Laplacian Biogoegraphy Based Optimization
Bioactive compounds form different plant materials are used in a number of important pharmaceutical, food and chemical industries. Many conventional and unconventional methods are available to extract optimum yields of these bioactive compounds from various plant materials. This paper focuses on the extraction of bioactive compounds (crocin, geniposide and total phenolic compounds) from Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides Ellis) by modeling the problem as a nonlinear optimization problem with multiple objectives. There are three objective functions each representing the maximizing of three bioactive compounds i.e. crocin, geniposide and total phenolic compounds. Each of the bioactive compounds are dependent on three factors namely: concentration of ethanol, extraction temperature and extraction time. The solution methodology is a recently proposed Laplacian Biofeographical Based Optimization. The results obtained are compared with previously reported results and show a significant improvement, thus exhibiting not only the superior performance of Laplacian Biogeographical Based Optimization, but also the complexity of the problem at hand.
KeywordsBiogeography-Based optimization Response surface methodology RCGA Extraction of compounds Laplacian BBO
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deep, K., Katiyar, V.K.: Multi objective extraction optimization of bioactive compounds from gardenia using real coded genetic algorithm. In: 6th World Congress of Biomechanics, vol. 31, pp. 1436-1466 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Deep, K., Thakur, M.: A new crossover operator for real coded genetic algorithms. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 895–912 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Garg, V., Deep, K.: A state of the art of biogeography based optimization. In: Das, K.N., Deep, K., Pant, M., Bansal, J.C., Nagar, A. (eds.) SocProS 2014. AISC, vol. 336, pp. 533–549. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Garg,V., Deep, K.: Performance of Laplacian Biogeography-Based Optimization Algorithm on CEC 2014 continuous optimization benchmarks and Camera Calibration Problem.(Resubmitted in Smarm and Evoulltionary Computation)Google Scholar
- 6.Shashi, B.: New Real Coded Genetic Algorithms and their Application to BioRelated Problem.PhD thesis, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. India (2011)Google Scholar