Mine Blast Harmony Search and Its Applications
A hybrid optimization method that combines the power of the harmony search (HS) algorithm with the mine blast algorithm (MBA) is presented in this study. The resulting mine blast harmony search (MBHS) utilizes the MBA for exploration and the HS for exploitation. The HS is inspired by the improvisation process of musicians, while the MBA is derived based on explosion of landmines. The HS used in the proposed hybrid method is an improved version, introducing a new concept for the harmony memory (HM) (i.e., dynamic HM), while the MBA is modified in terms of its mathematical formulation. Several benchmarks with many design variables are used to validate the MBHS, and the optimization results are compared with other algorithms. The obtained optimization results show that the proposed hybrid algorithm provides better exploitation ability (particularly in final iterations) and enjoys fast convergence to the optimum solution.
KeywordsHarmony search Mine blast algorithm Hybrid metaheuristic methods Global optimization Large-scale problems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Geem, G.W., Kim, J.H., Loganathan, G.V.: Harmony search optimization: application to pipe network design. Int. J. Modelling Simul. 22(2), 125–133 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Geem, Z.W. (ed.): Harmony Search Algo. for Structural Design Optimization. SCI, vol. 293. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, J.H., Baek, C.W., Jo, D.J., Kim, E.S., Park, M.J.: Optimal planning model for rehabilitation of water network. Water Sci. and Technol. Water Supply 4(3), 133–147 (2004)Google Scholar
- 19.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, vol. IV, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 20.Atashpaz-Gargari, E.: Lucas, C: Imperialist competitive algorithm: An algorithm for optimization inspired by imperialistic competition. IEEE CEC 7, 4661–4666 (2007)Google Scholar