Forward Modelling in R
- First Online:
This chapter contains five solved problems on forward modelling of the behaviour of trace elements using R (see Chaps. 11 and 13 for principles). They include theoretical treatment of batch and fractional crystallization equations, development of REE during tonalite magma fractionation, partial melting of primitive mantle or depleted mantle reservoirs, construction of a binary mixing hyperbola, plotting zircon saturation isotherms and calculation of zircon saturation temperatures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boynton WV (1984) Geochemistry of the rare-earth elements: meteorite studies. In: Henderson P (ed) Rare Earth Element Geochemistry. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 63–114Google Scholar
- Budd AR, Hazell MS, Sedgmen A, Sedgmen L, Wyborn LAI, Ryburn R (2000) OZCHEM dataset release 1 documentation: AGSO’s national whole rock geochemistry database. Australian Geological Survey Organisation, CanberraGoogle Scholar
- Sun SS, McDonough WF (1989) Chemical and isotopic systematics of oceanic basalts: implications for mantle composition and processes. In: Saunders AD, Norry MJ (eds) Magmatism in ocean basins. Geological Society of London Special Publications, vol 42, pp 313–345Google Scholar
- Taylor SR, McLennan SM (1995) The geochemical evolution of the continental crust. Rev Geophys 33:241–265Google Scholar
- Watson EB, Harrison TM (1983) Zircon saturation revisited: temperature and composition effects in a variety of crustal magmas types. Earth Planet Sci Lett 64:295–304Google Scholar
- Wyborn D (1983) Fractionation processes in the Boggy Plain zoned pluton. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Australian National University, CanberraGoogle Scholar