Attribute-Based Encryption Optimized for Cloud Computing
In this work, we aim to make attribute-based encryption (ABE) more suitable for access control to data stored in the cloud. For this purpose, we concentrate on giving to the encryptor full control over the access rights, providing feasible key management even in case of multiple independent authorities, and enabling viable user revocation, which is essential in practice. Our main result is an extension of the decentralized CP-ABE scheme of Lewko and Waters  with identity-based user revocation. Our revocation system is made feasible by removing the computational burden of a revocation event from the cloud service provider, at the expense of some permanent, yet acceptable overhead of the encryption and decryption algorithms run by the users. Thus, the computation overhead is distributed over a potentially large number of users, instead of putting it on a single party (e.g., a proxy server), which would easily lead to a performance bottleneck. The formal security proof of our scheme is given in the generic bilinear group and random oracle models.
Keywordsstorage in clouds access control attribute-based encryption multi-authority user revocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beimel, A.: Secure schemes for secret sharing and key distribution. Ph.D. thesis, Israel Institute of Technology, Technion, Haifa, Israel (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Bethencourt, J., Sahai, A., Waters, B.: Ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 321–334 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Horváth, M.: Attribute-Based Encryption Optimized for Cloud Computing. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2014/612 (2014), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 5.Lewko, A., Sahai, A., Waters, B.: Revocation systems with very small private keys. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 273–285 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, Y., Zhu, J., Wang, X., Chai, Y., Shao, S.: Optimized Ciphertext-Policy Attribute-Based Encryption with Efficient Revocation. International Journal of Security & Its Applications 7(6) (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Liang, X., Lu, R., Lin, X., Shen, X.S.: Ciphertext policy attribute based encryption with efficient revocation. TechnicalReport, University of Waterloo (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Ruj, S., Nayak, A., Stojmenovic, I.: Dacc: Distributed access control in clouds. In: IEEE 10th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications, pp. 91–98 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, K., Jia, X., Ren, K., Zhang, B.: DAC-MACS: Effective data access control for multi-authority cloud storage systems. In: INFOCOM, 2013 Proceedings IEEE, pp. 2895–2903 (2013)Google Scholar