Pupil and Iris Detection Algorithm for Near-Infrared Capture Devices
In this paper a simple and robust solution for the pupil and iris detection is presented. The procedure is based on simple operations, such as erosion, dilation, binarization, flood filling and Sobel filter and, with proper implementation, is effective. The novelty of the approach is the use of distances of black points from nearest white points to estimate and then adjust the position of the center and the radius of the pupil which is also used for iris detection. The obtained results are promising, the pupil is extracted properly and all the information necessary for human identification and verification can be extracted from the found parts of the iris. The paper, being both review and research, contains also a state of the art in the described topic.
Keywordsiris detection pupil detection gradient analysis linear analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Masek, L., et al.: Recognition of human iris patterns for biometric identification. M. Thesis, The University of Western Australia 3 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, Y.P., Luo, S.W., Chen, E.Y.: An efficient iris recognition system. In: Proceedings of 2002 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 1, pp. 450–454. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhu, Y., Tan, T., Wang, Y.: Biometric personal identification based on iris patterns. In: Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 801–804. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Misztal, K., Saeed, E., Tabor, J., Saeed, K.: Iris Pattern Recognition with a New Mathematical Model to Its Rotation Detection, pp. 43–65. Springer, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Jillela, R., Ross, A.A.: Methods for iris segmentation. In: Handbook of Iris Recognition, pp. 239–279. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital image processing (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Wildes, R.P., Asmuth, J.C., Green, G.L., Hsu, S.C., Kolczynski, R.J., Matey, J., McBride, S.E.: A system for automated iris recognition. In: Proceedings of the Second IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, pp. 121–128. IEEE (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Xie, Y., Ji, Q.: A new efficient ellipse detection method. In: Proceedings of 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 957–960. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar