Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is a chronic, subepidermal autoimmune bullous disease associated with gluten sensitivity, and thus it can be defined as a cutaneous manifestation of celiac disease (CD). It was originally described by Louis Adolphus Duhring in 1884. DH is multifactorial disease, with strong association with HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 antigens, influenced by environmental factors. The diagnosis is based on clinical findings, histopathology, immunofluorescence studies, and serology. The gold standard for diagnosis of DH is finding of granular deposits of IgA within tips of dermal papillae in direct immunofluorescence study. When diagnosis is confirmed, the treatment with gluten-free diet and dapsone is usually recommended. It is necessary to regularly monitor potential side effects of dapsone as well as clinical signs of frequently associated diseases.
KeywordsDermatitis herpetiformis Celiac disease Transglutaminase Gluten-free diet Dapsone
- Bonciolini V, Bonciani D, Verdelli A, D’Errico A, Antiga E, Fabbri P. Newly described clinical and immunopathological feature of dermatitis herpetiformis. Clin Dev Immunol. 2012;967974. doi: 10.1155/2012/967974.
- Hall III RP, Katz SI. Dermatitis herpetiformis. In: Wolff K, Goldsmith I, Katz SI, editors. Fitzpatrick’s dermatology in general medicine. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2007. p. 500–5.Google Scholar
- Hall III RP, Mickle CP. Dapsone. In: Wolverton SE, editor. Comprehensive dermatologic drug therapy. China: Elsevier; 2007. p. 239–57.Google Scholar
- Hull CM, Zone JJ. Dermatitis herpetiformis and linear IgA bullous dermatosis. In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Schaffer JV, et al., editors. Dermatology, vol. 1. 3rd ed. Elsevier Limited; 2012. p. 491–500.Google Scholar
- Mc Kee PH, Calonje E, Granter SR. Inherited and autoimmune subepidermal blistering diseases. In: Mc Kee PH, Calonje E, Granter SR, editors. Pathology of the skin with clinical correlations. Boston: Elsevier Mosby; 2005. p. 81–139.Google Scholar
- McFadden JP, Leonard JN, Powles AV, Rutman AJ, Fry L. Sulphamethoxypyridazine for dermatitis herpeti-formis, linear IgA disease and cicatricial pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol. 1989;121:759–62.Google Scholar
- Ohata C, Ishii N, Hamada T, Shimomura Y, Niizeki H, Dainichi T, et al. Distinct characteristics in Japanese dermatitis herpetiformis: a review of all 91 Japanese patients over the last 35 years. Clin Dev Immunol. 2012;2012:562168. doi: 10.1155/2012/562168. Epub 2012 Jun 12.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rutten A, Goos M. Palmoplantar purpura in dermatitis herpetiformis Duhring. Hautartz. 1989;40:640–3.Google Scholar