How to Recognize a Creative SME?
- 2.4k Downloads
In the actual knowledge-based economy, intangible assets are crucial. Those assets cannot be created without the creativity of the employees. Despite the phenomenal amount of works published on creativity, only a few are related to Small and Medium Enterprises (SME). Furthermore, a literature review made evident that a proper definition of what is a creative SME does not exist, even though it is important for practitioners, researchers and professionals in this domain. A definition of a creative SME needs to include external characteristics, ones that are easy to recognize from an observer’s point of view. This research is thus trying to answer the following question: “How can we recognize a creative SME?” By using a Delphi with a group of experts, the researchers obtained a list of characteristics to recognize a creative SME. A case-study based research on internal factors that affect creative SME characteristics will follow.
KeywordsCreative enterprise Creativity SME Small and Medium Size enterprise
- Amabile, T.M.: Social psychology of creativity: A consensual assessment technique. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 43(5), 997–1013 (1982), doi: 10.1037//0022-35220.127.116.117Google Scholar
- Burbiel, J.: Creativity in research and development environments: A practical review. International Journal of Business Science and Applied Management 4(2), 35–51 (2009)Google Scholar
- Dalkey, N.C.: The Delphi Method: An Experimental Study of Group Opinion (1969), http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_memoranda/RM5888 (retrieved)
- Milway, J., Azer, T., Chan, K., Kidwai, A., Martin, L., Meyer, A., Mohsenzadeh, S.: Canada’s innovation imperative: REPORT ON CANADA 2011: Institute for Competitiveness & Prosperity (2011)Google Scholar
- OCDE, La mesure des activités scientifiques et technologiques; Manuel d’Oslo: Principes Directeurs Pour Le Recueil Et L’Interprétation Des Données sur L’Innovation, Paris (2005)Google Scholar
- Raymond, L., Abdul-Nour, G., Jacob, R.: L’entreprise-réseau: Dix ans d’expérience de la Chaire Bombardier Produits récréatifs. Les Presses de l’Université du Québec, Quebec (2003)Google Scholar
- Woodman, R.W., Sawyer, J.E., Griffin, R.W.: Toward a theory of organizational creativity. Academy of Management. The Academy of Management Review 18(2), 293 (1993)Google Scholar
- Wright, G., Lewis, T., Skaggs, P., Howell, B.: Creativity and innovation: A comparative analysis of definitions and assessment measures, Vancouver, BC (2011)Google Scholar