An Improved Multi-objective Algorithm for the Urban Transit Routing Problem
The determination of efficient routes and schedules in public transport systems is complex due to the vast search space and multiple constraints involved. In this paper we focus on the Urban Transit Routing Problem concerned with the physical network design of public transport systems. Historically, route planners have used their local knowledge coupled with simple guidelines to produce network designs. Several major studies have identified the need for automated tools to aid in the design and evaluation of public transport networks. We propose a new construction heuristic used to seed a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm. Several problem specific mutation operators are then combined with an NSGAII framework leading to improvements upon previously published results.
KeywordsFatigue Migration Transportation Sorting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mumford, C.L.: New heuristic and evolutionary operators for the multi-objective urban transit routing problem. In: 2013 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), pp. 939–946 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Nielsen, G., Nelson, J.D., Mulley, C., Tegner, G., Lind, G., Lange, T.: Public transport–planning the networks. HiTrans Best Practice Guide (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhao, F., Gan, A.: Optimization of transit network to minimize transfers (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Lampkin, W., Saalmans, P.D.: The design of routes, service frequencies, and schedules for a municipal bus undertaking: A case study. In: OR, pp. 375–397 (1967)Google Scholar
- 10.Mandl, C.E.: Applied network optimization. Academic Pr. (1979)Google Scholar
- 17.Fan, W., Machemehl, R.B.: A tabu search based heuristic method for the transit route network design problem. Computer-aided Systems in Public Transport, 387–408 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Fan, L., Mumford, C.L., Evans, D.: A simple multi-objective optimization algorithm for the urban transit routing problem. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2009, pp. 1–7 (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.Shih, M.C., Mahmassani, H.S.: A design methodology for bus transit networks with coordinated operations. Technical Report SWUTC/94/60016-1 (1994)Google Scholar