Innovation of Higher Education in the Globalized Era
Present higher education is facing the perfect storm of many game changers. There is big pressure from various stakeholders. And it is also the global era for higher education nowadays. It is the role for education to prepare students to deal with more rapid change than ever before, for jobs that have not yet been created, using technologies that have not yet been invented, to solve problems that we do not yet know will arise. It is now clear that we prepare for our next generation well for the future. In this sense, the chapter firstly presents the current trend of ICT in higher education including the new pedagogy for the digital teaching and learning, utilization of smart technology for higher education, online universities, e-learning support centers for universities, globalization of e-learning in higher education, and open educational resources (OER). Secondly, as the example of Innovation of teaching and learning in higher education, the definition, the characteristics, and the value of MOOC are thoroughly explored. Thirdly, new trend of redesigning learning space is introduced. Finally, various issues of ICT in education are discussed as a conclusion.
KeywordsICT in higher education MOOC Redesign learning space Educational technology e-learning’
If you wish to acknowledge persons who contributed or sponsoring agencies, do so here in this optional section.
- Atkins, D. E., Brown, J. S., & Hammond, A. K. (2007). A review of the open educational resources (OER) movement: Achievements, challenges, and new opportunities. Retrieved from http://www.hewlett.org/uploads/files/ReviewoftheOERMovement.pdf.
- Autor, D., Levy, F. & Murnane, R. (2001). The skill content of recent technological change: An empirical exploration. NBER Working Paper 8337. Boston, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Bonk, C. J. (2009). The world is open: How web technology is revolutionizing education. The Internet and Higher Education, 12(3).Google Scholar
- Breslow, L., Pritchard, D., DeBoer, J., Stump, G., Ho, A., & Seaton, D. (2013), Studing Learning in the Worldwide Classroom Research into edX’s First MOOC, RPA Volume 8/summer 2013, MIT. http://www.rpajournal.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SF2.pdf
- Coursera. (2014). Example of certificate from Coursera. https://www.coursera.org/about
- Curtis, B. (2013a). The mass movement to MOOCs: Part1. Past year recap of MOOC and open Ed news. Retrieved from http://www.trainingshare.com/pdfs/MOOCs_Open_Ed_Curt_Bonk.pdf.
- Curtis, B. (2013b). A mixed methods look at self-directed online learning: MOOCs, open education, and beyond. Retrieved from http://www.trainingshare.com/pdfs/MOOC_Research_Blackboard_MIT_ICE-Japan.pdf.
- KAIST. (2008). Education 3.0. http://summer.kaist.ac.kr/contents/kiss020501.php
- KALS. (2007). Facilities. (http://www.kals.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/magatama.html)
- Kurzweil. (2013). Online learning at Stanford goes open source with open EdX: MIT, Harvard study: What works in online learning? Retrieved from http://www.kurzweilai.net/online-learning-at-stanford-goes-open-source-with-openedx.
- Kwak, D., Kim, H., Park, I., Lee, J., & Lim, B. (2006). A study on reinforcing and development methods for e-learning support center of universities. Seoul: Korea Education and Research Information Service.Google Scholar
- Leadbeater, C., & Wong, A. (2010). Learning from the Extremes. Retrieved from http://www.cisco.com/web/about/citizenship/socio-economic/docs/LearningfromExtremes_WhitePaper.pdf.
- Lee, O., & Im, Y. (2013). Guidelines for ACU joint curriculum design in 2013. Chungbuk University Report.Google Scholar
- Leena, V., Im, Y., & Leppisaari, I. (2012). Comparing open educational resource practices in Higher Education between Finland and South Korea. Educational Technology International, 13(1).Google Scholar
- Levy, F., & Murnane, R. (2004). The new division of labor: How computers are creating the next job market. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Long, P. D. (2005). Learning Space Design in Action. http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/learning-space-design-action
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. (2012). White paper: Adapting education to the information age. Seoul: Korea Education and Research Information Service.Google Scholar
- Schleicher, A. (2010). Is the sky the limit to the educational improvement?. Beijing: GELP conference.Google Scholar
- The Chronicle of Higher Education. (2014). Tuition growth and government support. http://chronicle.com/article/25-Years-of-Declining-State/144973/
- Trilling, B. & Fadel, C. (2009). 21st century skills, Boston: Willey.Google Scholar
- Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology Homepage. e-Education. Retrieved from http://ctl.unist.ac.kr/board/list.sko?boardId=ctl_edu&menuCd=AJ03001000000&contentsSid=40567.
- UNIST. (2011). E-education. (http://ctl.unist.ac.kr/board/list.sko?boardId=ctl_edu&menuCd=AJ03001000000&contentsSid=40567)
- Vainio, L., Im, Y., & Leppisaari, I. (2012). Comparing open educational resource practices in higher education between Finland and South Korea. Educational Technology International, 13(1), 27–48.Google Scholar
- Virginia Tech. (2014). Math Emporium. (http://www.emporium.vt.edu/emporium/home.html)