Managing Service Productivity pp 227-240
Improving Energy Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis: A Case of Walnut Production
Walnut is one of the most nutritive crops and modern production methods require large quantities of energy. Efficient use of these energies is a necessary step toward agricultural sustainability. This study therefore focuses on optimizing energy consumption in walnut production by identifying and reducing excessive use of energy. A non-parametric input-oriented Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) was applied to analyze energy efficiency of different walnut producers in Iran. DEA was used to model efficiency as an explicit function of human labor, machinery, fertilizers-chemicals and irrigation energies. The result of DEA analysisshows substantial inefficiency between the walnut producers in the studied area, withthe main difference between efficient and inefficient producers being in the use of chemicals, potash, machinery and irrigation water. The use of chemicals such as insecticides and herbicides for efficient producers was considerably less than inefficient ones by 90.21 % and 77.5 %.
KeywordsWalnut production Data envelopment analysis Efficiency Productivity Managing service productivity
- Annual agricultural statistics. Ministry of Agriculture of Iran. http://www.maj.ir (in Persian). 2012. Last visited September 9, 2013.
- Coelli, T. J., Rao, D. S. P., O’Donnell, C. J., & Battese, G. E. (2005). An introduction to efficiency and productivity analysis. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Emrouznejad, A., & De Witte, K. (2010) COOPER-framework: A unified process for non-parametric projects. Tier working paper series, 05(3), pp. 1–32.Google Scholar
- FAO. Food and agricultural organization. http://www.fao.org. (2012). Last visited September 9, 2013.
- Mulwa, R. (in press). Non-parametric estimation of environmental efficiency using data envelopment analysis and free disposable hull. In I. H. Osman, A. L. Anouze, & A. Emrouznejad (Eds.), Strategic measurement and management performance using data envelopment analysis: Theory and applications. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.Google Scholar
- Reinhard, S. (1999). Econometric analysis of economic and environmental efficiency of Dutch dairy farms. Ph.D. Thesis, Wageningen University.Google Scholar