Knowledge Representation in the Conceptual Design Process for Building Energy Systems
This paper deals with knowledge representation of the conceptual design process for Building Energy Systems. The design problem is one of a set of problems where the ob jective is the design of a system that performs a certain function by selection and configuration of components whose characteristics and interrelationships are fixed and known. Domain, Constraint, Design, Analysis and Developing Solution knowledge are discussed in relation to the above problem. The need for heuristic design knowledge augmented by non-heuristic numerical knowledge is identified. Abstraction of knowledge into a modular and hierarchical form leads to efficient search for a design solution. This paper outlines the framework for a longer-term development of an expert system for conceptual design of Building Energy Systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashrae. Fundamentals, Equipment, Applications, and Systems Volumes. ASHRAE, Atlanta, USA.Google Scholar
- Brown, D.C., Chandrasekaran, B. (1984) Expert Systems for a Class of Mechanical Design Activity. Proc. of IFIP Working Conference on Knowledge Engineering in Computer Aided Design. Budapest, Hungary.Google Scholar
- CIBS, “CIBS Guide”. The Chartered Institution of Building Services, Delta House, 222 Balham High Road, London SW129BS.Google Scholar
- ABAQUS, “ESP Manual”, Architecture and Building Aids Computer Unit Strathclyde, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK. Faber, O., Kell, J.R. (1948) Heating and Air-Conditioning of Buildings. The Architectural Press, London.Google Scholar
- Forgy, C.L. (1980) The OPS5 User’s Manual. Technical Report, Carnegie-Mellon University, Department of Computer Science.Google Scholar
- Jones, W.P. (1982) Air Conditioning Engineering. Edward Arnold Ltd., London.Google Scholar
- Latombe, J.C. (1977) Artificial Intelligence in Computer-Aided Design: The Tropic System. Proceedings of the IFIP Working Conference on CAD systems, 61–120.Google Scholar
- McCallum, K. (1982) Creative Ship Design by Computer. Rogers,Google Scholar
- D.F. et al (eds). In Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design IV. North Holland, 55–62. McDermott, John (1982) Rl: A Rule-Based Configurer of Computer Systems, Artificial Intelligence, 19:39–88.Google Scholar
- McDermott, John (1981) XSEL: A Computer Sales Person’s Assistant, Hayes, J. and Michie, D. (eds) Machine Intelligence 10, 325–338.Google Scholar