Combinatorial Optimization: An Introduction
In the end let us return to the beginning and consider the hypothetical Berlin airlift model of Chapter 1.2.3 for the sake of concreteness. As we have noted there the linear programming solution to the formulation is truly an approximation to the problem that the decision-maker faces: pilots are, of course, “indivisible” and because of that he would like answers in terms of the natural numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, ... rather than in rationals or reals. So we have to require that some or all of the variables of the model must be integer-valued.
KeywordsExtreme Point Ideal Formulation Integer Solution Valid Inequality Complete Formulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balinski, M.L. and K. Spielberg [ 1969 ] “Methods for integer programming: Algebraic, combinatorial and enumerative”, in Aronofsky (ed) Progress in Operations Research, Wiley, New York, 195–192.Google Scholar
- Grötschel, M. and M. Padberg [ 1985 ] “Polyhedral theory”, Chapter 8 in Lawler, E.L. et al (eds), The Traveling Salesman Problem: A Guided Tour of Combinatorial Optimization, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Maurras, J.F. [ 1976 ] Polytopes à sommets dans 0,1r, Thèse de doctorat d’ État, Université Paris VII, Paris.Google Scholar
- Padberg, M. and M.R. Rao [ 1981 ] “The Russian method for linear inequalities I II: Bounded integer programming”, Preprint, New York University, New York.Google Scholar
- Simmonard, M. [ 1966 ] Linear Programming, Prentice-Hall, Englewood.Google Scholar
- Weyl, H. [ 1935 ] “Elementare Theorie der konvexen Polyeder”, Commentarii Math-ematici Helvetici 7 290–306 (English translation in Kuhn, H. and A. Tucker (eds),  Contributions to the Theory of Games I, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 3–18.)Google Scholar
- Cornuéjols, G. and B. Novick [ 1994 ] “Ideal 0,1 matrices”, Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B, 60 145–157.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, A. and J. Kruskal [ 1958 ] “Integral boundary points of convex polyhedra”, in Kuhn, H. and A. Tucker (eds), Linear inequalities and related systems, Princeton University Press, Princeton 223–246.Google Scholar
- Lehman, A. [ 1990 ] “The width-length inequality and degenerate projective planes”, in Cook, W. and P.D. Seymour (eds), Polyhedral Combinatorics, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science.Google Scholar