Improvement of Somatic Embryogenesis in Wheat by Segmentation of Cultured Embryos
Research directed toward the improvement of somatic embryogenesis in cereals has emphasized the role of the culture medium (Sears and Deckard 1982; Heyser et al. 1985; Carman et al. 1987), the age of the embryo and its position on the medium (Ozias-Akins and Vasil 1983a) or has been directed towards preventing precocious germination of cultured embryos (Vasil and Vasil 1982) and normalizing somatic embryogenesis (Ozias-Akins and Vasil 1983b). Increasing the frequency and durability of embryogenic cultures has also been the object of study (Heyser et al. 1985). Other factors such as genotype (O’Hara and Street 1978) and type of explant: foliar tissue (Lu and Vasil 1981), anther (Picard and de Buyser 1977), zygotic embryos (Magnusson and Bornman 1985), and epiblast (He et al. 1986) have also been considered (see also Chaps. I.3, I.4, this Vol.).
KeywordsSomatic Embryo Somatic Embryogenesis Embryogenic Callus Zygotic Embryo Immature Embryo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Botti C, Vasil IK (1983) Plant regeneration by somatic embryogenesis from parts of cultured mature embryos of Pennisetum americanum (L.) K. Schum. Z Pfianzenphysiol 111: 319–325Google Scholar
- Chlyah H (1984) Correlations in organogenesis. In: Plant tissue and cell culture: applications to crop improvement. Proc Symp Olomouc, Czech, pp 57–66Google Scholar
- Haccius B (1978) Question of unicellular origin of nonzygotic embryos in callus cultures. Phytomorphology 28: 74–81Google Scholar
- Heyser JW, Nabors MW, MacKinnon C, Dykes TA, Demott KJ, Kautzman DC, Mujeeb-Kazi A (1985) Long-term, high frequency plant regeneration and the induction of somatic embryogenesis in callus cultures of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Z Pfianzenzücht 94:218–233Google Scholar
- O’Hara JF, Street HE (1978) Wheat callus culture: the initiation, growth and organogenesis of callus derived from various explant sources. Ann Bot (London) 42: 1029–1038Google Scholar
- Picard E, de Buyser H (1977) High production of embryoids in anther culture of pollen-derived homozygous spring wheat. Ann Amelior Plantes 24: 483–488Google Scholar