BLaC Wavelets and Non-Nested Wavelets
Two multiresolution analyses (MRA) intended to be used in scientific visualization, and that are both based on a non-nested set of approximating spaces, are presented. The notion of approximated refinement is introduced to deal with non-nested spaces. The first MRA scheme, referred to as BLaC (Blending of Linear and Constant) wavelets is based on a one parameter family of wavelet bases that yields a blend between Haar and linear wavelet bases. The approximated refinement is applied in the last part to build a second MRA scheme for data defined on an arbitrary planar triangular mesh.
KeywordsScaling Function Wavelet Function Multiresolution Analysis Approximation Space Detail Coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G.-P. Bonneau and A. Gerussi. Level of detail visualization of scalar data sets on irregular surface meshes. IEEE Proceedings Visualization’98, 1998, 73–77.Google Scholar
- 3.G.-P. Bonneau and A. Gerussi. Hierarchical decomposition of datasets on irregular surface meshes. Proceedings CGI’98, 1998, 59–63.Google Scholar
- 4.G.-P. Bonneau and A. Gerussi. Analysis of scalar datasets on multi-resolution geometric models. Curve and Surface Fitting: Saint-Malo 1999, A. Cohen, C. Rabut, and L. L. Schumaker (eds.), Vanderbilt University Press, Nashville, 2000, 209–218.Google Scholar
- 5.G. P. Bonneau, S. Hahmann, and G. M. Nielson. BLaC Wavelets: a multiresolution analysis with non-nested spaces. Proceedings of the VIS’96, ACM, New York, 1996, 43–48.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Eck, T. DeRose et. al. Multiresolution analysis of arbitrary meshes. SIG-GRAPH 1995, 173–182.Google Scholar
- 7.J. M. Lounsbery. Multiresolution analysis for surfaces of arbitrary topological type. PhD Thesis, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Washington, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Quak. Nonuniform B-splines and B-wavelets. This volume.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Schröder and W. Sweldens. Spherical wavelets: efficiently representing functions on the sphere. SIGGRAPH 1995, 161–172.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Stollnitz, T. DeRose, and D. Salesin. Wavelets for Computer Graphics, Theory and Applications. Morgan Kaufman, San Francisco, 1996.Google Scholar