- 424 Downloads
This chapter examines constitutional politics in post-socialist Romania. The analysis illustrates how constitutional politics developed along with democratization and democratic consolidation in the country. The beginning of democratization was characterized by one influential political actor—the de facto successor of the Romanian Communist Party, which also dominated the drafting of the 1991 constitution. The start of democratic consolidation one decade later was mirrored in an elite consensus regarding a constitutional reform under the external pressure of EU accession. The phase of democratic consolidation since then has been characterized by political conflict, sometimes moving outside the democratic realm (e.g. in 2012), and failing constitutional reform attempts.
KeywordsConstitutional conflicts Constitutional law Constitutional politics European Union Post-socialism Romania
- Allgemeine Deutsche Zeitung für Rumänien. 2013. Verfassungsnovelle unter Lupe der Venedig-Kommission. June 6. http://www.adz.ro/artikel/artikel/verfassungsnovelle-unter-lupe-der-venedig-kommission (accessed August 8, 2015).
- Blokker, Paul. 2013. Constitution-making in Romania: From reiterative crises to constitutional moment? Romanian Journal of Comparative Law 3(2): 187–204.Google Scholar
- Crowther, William. 1998. Romania. In The handbook of political change in Eastern Europe, ed. Sten Berglund, Tomas Hellen, and Frank H. Aarebrot, 295–333. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Elgie, Robert, and Sophie Moestrup (eds.). 2008. Semi-presidentialism in Central and Eastern Europe. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Gallagher, Tom. 2005. Theft of a nation: Romania since communism. London: Hurst & Co.Google Scholar
- Gherghina, Sergiu. 2013. Going for a safe vote: electoral bribes in post-socialist Romania. Debatte: Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe 21(2–3): 143–164.Google Scholar
- Gherghina, Sergiu. 2014. Party organization and electoral volatility in Central and Eastern Europe: enhancing voter loyalty. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hein, Michael. 2013. Verfassungskonflikte zwischen Politik und Recht in Südosteuropa. Bulgarien und Rumänien nach 1989 im Vergleich. Baden-Baden: Nomos.Google Scholar
- Jenne, Erin K. 2007. Ethnic bargaining. The Paradox of Minority Empowerment. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Luca, Mirela, 2003 Opozitia acuza ca referendumul pentru Constitutie a fost fraudat. Ziarul Financiar, October 21.Google Scholar
- Lungu, Ioana. 2002. Romanian constitutional nationalism. Polish Sociological Review 140: 397–412.Google Scholar
- Pop-Eleches, Grigore. 1999. Separated at birth or separated by birth? The socialist successor parties in Romania and Hungary. East European Politics and Societies 13(1): 117–147.Google Scholar
- Postelnicu, Valentina. 2015. ANALIZĂ: Comisia de revizuire a Constituţiei îşi reia activitatea, la un an după respingerea legii la Curtea Constituţională. Mediafax, March 7. http://www.mediafax.ro/politic/analiza-comisia-de-revizuire-a-constitutiei-isi-reia-activitatea-la-un-an-dupa-respingerea-legii-la-curtea-constitutionala-13947715 (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Pridham, Geoffrey, and Tom Gallagher (eds.). 2000. Experimenting with democracy: Regime change in the balkans. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Rus, Alin. 2007. Mineriadele. Între Manipulare Politică Şi Solidaritate Muncitorească (The Mineriads. Between Political Manipulation and Workers’ Solidarity). Bucharest: Curtea Veche.Google Scholar
- Vesalon, Lucian. 2012. State modernization as a neoliberal populist discourse in Romania. Working paper 22, DISC Working Paper Series. Center for the Study of Imperfections in Democracy, Central European University, Budapest. https://disc.ceu.hu/sites/default/files/field_attachment/page/node-3320/disc-wp-22-vesalon-re-1.pdf (accessed 8 June 2015).
- Central Electoral Bureau. 2007. Proces-verbal privind rezultatele referendumului național din data de 19 mai 2007. May 22. http://www.becreferendum2007.ro/document3/rezultate.pdf (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Central Electoral Bureau. 2012. Alegeri pentru Camera Deputatiolor si Senat 9 Decembrie 2012. www.becparlamentare2012.ro/rezultate.html (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Constitutional Court. 1996. Court Decision No. 85/1996. Bucharest, September 3. http://www.legex.ro/Decizia-85-1996-9024.aspx (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Constitutional Court. 2000. Court Decision No. 82/2000. Bucharest, April 27. www.jurisprudenta.com/lege/decizie-82-2000-6v1zq (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Constitutional Court. 2003. Court Decision No. 148/2003. Bucharest, April 16. www.dreptonline.ro/decizii_recurs_constitutionala/detaliu_decizie.php?id_decizie=326 (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Constitutional Court. 2014. Court Decision No. 80/2014. Bucharest, April 7. lege5.ro/en/Gratuit/gm4tgojwg4/decizia-nr-80-2014-asupra-propunerii-legislative-privind-revizuirea-constitutiei-romaniei (accessed June 8, 2015).Google Scholar
- Decree-Law. 1990. Law no. 92/1990 regarding the election of Romanian Parliament and president. Moniturol Oficial 35. March 18. http://www.cdep.ro/pls/legis/legis_pck.htp_act_text?idt=7528 (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Draft Law. 2003. Law on the revision of the constitution of Romania. Draft. http://www.cdep.ro/proiecte/2003/200/20/7/pl227.pdf (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Draft Law. 2011. Law on the revision of the constitution of Romania. Draft. http://www.presidency.ro/static/Proiect_Lege_de_Revizuire_a_Constitutiei_Romaniei-1iunie2011.pdf (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Draft Law. 2015. Law on the revision of the constitution of Romania. Draft. http://www.senat.ro/UploadFisiere/bb175b74-8e6b-4603-8589-d27a014a2dc0/prop.de_revizuire_a_Constitutiei_-_final_-_25_iunie_2013.pdf (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Law. 2000. Law No. 3/2000 regarding the organization and holding of referendums. Monitorul Oficial 84. February 24. http://www.cdep.ro/pls/legis/legis_pck.htp_act_text?idt=22286 (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Law. 2004. Law No. 232/2004 regarding the organization and functioning of the Constitutional Court. Monitorul Oficial 502. June 3. www.legex.ro/Legea-232-2004-43057.aspx (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Law. 2005. Law No. 395/2005 regarding the mandatory military service. Monitorul Oficial 1155. December 20. www.mapn.ro/recrutare/amr.php (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Law. 2013. Law No. 341/2013 on the revision on Law No. 3/2000 regarding the organization and holding of referendums. Monitorul Oficial 787. December 16. www.mapn.ro/recrutare/amr.php (accessed June 8, 2015).
- Pro Democracy Association. 2013. Raportul Forumului Constitutional 2013. Bucharest: Pro Democracy Association, Constitutional Forum. www.variantacojocaru.ro/ConstitutiaPoporului/Raport_FC.28.05.13.pdf (accessed July 24, 2014).
- Romania. 1991a. Constitution of Romania (1991). Official English translation. www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?den=act1_2 (accessed August 5, 2015).
- Romania. 1991b. Constitution of Romania (1991). Original version. http://www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=255 (accessed August 5, 2015).
- Romania. 2003a. Constitution of Romania (1991) with amendments through 2003. Official English translation. www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=371 (accessed August 5, 2015).
- Romania. 2003b. Constitution of Romania (1991) with amendments through 2003. Original version. http://www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=339 (accessed August 5, 2015).
- Venice Commission 2014. Opinion on the Draft Law on the Review of the Constitution of Romania, adopted by the Venice Commission at its 98th Plenary Session (Venice, 21–22 March 2014). CDL-AD(2014)010. Strasbourg, March 24. http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/default.aspx?pdffile=CDL-AD%282014%29010-e (accessed June 8, 2015).