Homophobia in Sport
Sport is a microcosm of society so thus mirrors what is happening in society at large (Coakley J Sport in Society: Issues and Controversies 10th edn. McGraw Hill, New York (2008). This includes homophobia which is the fear of homosexuals or homosexuality. Along with homophobia, biphobia (fear of bisexuals) and transphobia (fear of transgendered individuals) are often grouped together.
- BBC 2014. Sotchi 2014: Gay rights protests targets Russia’s games. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26043872. Accessed 6 Jan 2015.
- Burton-Nelson, Mariah. 1994. The stronger women get, the more men love football. New York: Harcourt Brace.Google Scholar
- CNN. 2015. Same-sex marriage in the United States. http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/map-same-sex-marriage/. Accessed 5 Jan 2015.
- Coakley, Jay. 2008. Sport in society: Issues and controversies, 10th edn. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Eitzen, Stanley and George Sage. 2003. Sociology of North American Sport, 7th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Fagan, Kate. 2014. The reappearing act: Coming out as gay on a college basketball team led by born-again Christians. New York: Skyhorse.Google Scholar
- Federation of Gay Games. 2015. Welcome to the gay games, changing lives for 30 years. http://www.gaygames.org/. Accessed 25 Jan 2015.
- GLSEN. 2014. GLSEN safe space kit. http://safespace.glsen.org/. Accessed 3 Jan 2015.
- GLSEN. 2015. Changing the game resources. http://sports.glsen.org/resources/. Accessed 3 Jan 2015.
- Griffin, Pat. 1998. Strong women, deep closets: Lesbians and homophobia in sport. Champaign: Human Kinetics.Google Scholar
- Griffin, Pat and Hudson Taylor. 2010. Champions of respect: Inclusion of LGBTQ student-athletes and staff in NCAA programs. NCAA, Indianapolis. https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4305-champions-of-respect-inclusion-of-lgbtq-student-athletes-and-staff-in-ncaa-programs.aspx?CategoryID=0&SectionID=0&ManufacturerID=0&DistributorID=0&GenreID=0&VectorID=0&.
- Ladda, Shawn. 2007. Scholastic physical education. In: Women in leadership positions in sport: Their struggles and legacies, eds. M. Hums, G. Bower and H. Grappendorf, 63–83. Reston: NAGWS.Google Scholar
- Ladda, Shawn. 2014. Using sport for social change: Theory into practice. Joperd 85 (6): 7–11.Google Scholar
- Lensky, Helen. 1986. Out of bounds: Women, sport, and sexuality. Toronto: Women’s Press.Google Scholar
- Messner, Michael and Don Sabo, Hrsg. 1990. Sport, men, and the gender order: Critical feminist perspectives. Champaign: Human Kinetics.Google Scholar
- Olympic.org. 2015. http://registration.olympic.org/en/faq/detail/id/135. Accessed 8 Jan 2015.
- Pew Research Center. 2015. http://www.pewforum.org/2013/12/19/gay-marriage-around-the-world-2013/#allow. Accessed 10 Apr 2015.
- UN.org. 2015. Convention on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women. http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/. Accessed 4 Jan 2015.
- Williams, Jean. 2007. A beautiful game: International perspectives on women’s football. Oxford: Berg.Google Scholar