An International Perspective on Commodity Marketing
International marketing is forced to consider multiple general conditions of international business. Therefore, both consumer-related and environmental peculiarities have to be taken into account. Marketing specialists in particular are responsible for identifying these market conditions and formulating matching strategies. This article shows that the general anchor points of international marketing can be adapted to commodities because commodity marketing is based on similar global and local environmental conditions as international marketing. Based on the encompassing definition of “commodities,” this article delivers nine theses that underline the strong relationship between international and commodity marketing.
KeywordsHost Country International Business Commodity Market World Economic Forum International Marketing
- Communiqué. (2013). Meeting of finance ministers and central bank governors, Washington, April 2013. http://www.g20.org/documents/. Accessed 6 June 2013.
- Czinkota, M., & Skuba, C. J. (2011). The two faces of international marketing. Marketing Management, 20, 14–16.Google Scholar
- Czinkota, M., & Skuba, C. J. (2012). A contextual analysis of legal systems and their impact on trade and foreign direct investment. Journal of Business Research.Google Scholar
- Financial Times. (2011, October 24). Capitalism and its global malcontents. Editorial.Google Scholar
- G20 Leaders Summit. (2011). Final Communiqué, November 3–4, 2011, pp. 12–17. http://www.g20.org/documents/#p2. Accessed 6 June 2013.
- GE. (2013). http://www.genewscenter.com/. Accessed 6 June 2013.
- Ibid. (2013). http://www.siemens.com/about/en/values-vision-strategy/strategy.htm. Accessed: 6 June 2013.
- Procter & Gamble. (2012). http://za.pg.com/about. Accessed 27 Jan 2012.
- Siemens. (2013). http://www.siemens.com/about/en/worldwide.htm. Accessed 6 June 2013.
- Skuba, C. J. (2011, 11 July). Consumers can shine sunlight on exploitative vampire brands. Letter to the Financial Times.Google Scholar
- The Coca Cola Company (2012). http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/ourcompany/index.html. Accessed 27 Jan 2012.
- World Bank. (2010). Gross Domestic Product. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GDP.pdf. Accessed 27 Jan 2012.
- World Bank. (2011). Fortune Global 500. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2011/full_list/. Accessed 27 Jan 2012.
- World Economic Forum. (2012). Global Risks. http://www.weforum.org/issues/global-risks. Accessed 27 Jan 2012.