The 4D Model of Place Brand Management
Place branding is receiving increased practitioner and academic attention. While the need and benefits are becoming more widely accepted, there is uncertainty as to the application of brand principles to places. Both the similarities and differences between corporate brands and place brands have been given attention in the literature with the consensus being that place branding is more complex. This work identifies some of the issues and processes relative to place brand management. While not purporting to be a definitive model of place branding, a model consisting of four sequential stages is proposed. The 4D model consists of the stages of deciding, designing, delivering, and determining and is supported by relevant literature and examples from the United Arab Emirates. It is anticipated that the model will contribute to academic work and as well be of benefit to practitioners charged with place branding.
KeywordsMarketing Assure Turkey Simeon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Marketing Association (2005): Dictionary of marketing terms. http://www.marketingpower.com/mg-dictionary-view329.php?, 20.06.2007.
- Balmer, J. and Greyser, S. (2003): Revealing the corporation. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Baxter, J. and Kerr, G. (2010): The meaning and measurement of place identity and place image. European Regional Science Association Congress, August 19-23, Jönköping, Sweden.Google Scholar
- Dickinson, S. (2007): Urban regeneration: UK practice. In: Diamond, J., Liddle, J., Southern, A. and Townsend, A. (eds.): Managing the city. Abingdon: Routledge, 16-31.Google Scholar
- Dinnie, K. (2008): Nation branding: Concepts, issues, practice. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Dinnie, K. and Melewar, T. (2008): Call for papers: International perspectives on nation branding: Current trends and future directions. In: International Marketing Review, http://info.emeraldinsight.com/products/journals/call_for_papers.htm?id=146, 15.04.2008.
- Florek, M. (2011): No place like home: Perspectives on place attachment and impacts on city management. In: Journal of Town and City Management, 1(4), 346-354.Google Scholar
- Future Brand (2006): Country brand index. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/3390366/future-brand-design, 01.03.2009.
- Government of Abu Dhabi (2011): Abu Dhabi 2030. www.dot.abudhabi.ae/download.do?loc=stmp/&file=PlanAbuDhabi2030.pdf, 13.06.2009.
- Government of Abu Dhabi (2011): Abu Dhabi strategic plan 2008-2012. http://www.abudhabi.ae/egovPoolPortal_WAR/appmanager/ADeGP/Citizen?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=P4200113791218444260839&lang=en, 09.06.2011.
- Government of Dubai,(2007): Dubai strategic plan 2015. http://www.dubai.ae/en.portal?topic,hm_dxbstgplan,1,&_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=3, 13.06.2009.
- Green, S. (2005): Defining West London: A case study of the initial stages of a strategic place branding exercise. In: Co Design, 1(4), 277-287.Google Scholar
- Hankinson, G. and Cowking, P. (1995): What do you really mean by a brand? In: Journal of Brand Management, 3(1), 43-50.Google Scholar
- Jansen, S. (2008): Designer nations: Neo-liberal nation branding – brand Estonia. In: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture, 14(1), 121-142.Google Scholar
- Keller, K. (2008): Strategic brand mangement. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Kerr, G. (2007): Location branding of a city: Formulation to implementation. Location Branding Conference, May 10-11, Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Kerr, G. and Braithwaite, B. (2011): A framework for preparing and implementing economic development plans for local government areas in Australia. ANZRSAI Conference, December 6-9, Canberra, Australia.Google Scholar
- Kerr, G., Noble, G. and Glynn, J. (2007): The role of community leaders as ’senior managers’ in place brand implementation. ANZMAC Conference, December, Dunedin, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P., Haider, D. and Rein, I. (1993): Marketing places: Attracting investment, industry, and tourism to cities, states, and nations. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Mommaas, H. (2002): City branding: The necessity of socio-cultural goals. In: Patteeuw, V. (ed.): City branding: Image building and building images. Rotterdam: Nai Uitgevers Publishers, 34-47.Google Scholar
- Morgan, A. (1999): Eating the big fish. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Morgan, N., Pritchard, A. and Pride, R. (2004): Destination branding: Creating the unique destination proposition. Oxford: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Office of the Brand of Abu Dhabi (2007): Abu Dhabi brand identity. Abu Dhabi.Google Scholar
- Olins, W. (1999): Trading identities: Why countries and companies are taking on each others’ roles. London: The Foreign Policy Centre.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, B. (2004): The paradox of choice. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Urde, M., Baumgarth, C. and Merrilees, B. (2011): Brand orientation and market orientation: From alternatives to synergy. In: Journal of Business Research, Article in Press.Google Scholar