Variability in fatigue testing: Sources and effect on notch sensitivity
The information obtained from fatigue tests is obscured by the variability of the results. A knowledge of the sources of the variability is helpful in minimizing this difficulty. Once the variability has been reduced to that due to local variations alone, estimates can be made of how much of the size, shape, and notch sensitivity effects are due to statistical causes.
KeywordsFatigue Strength Fatigue Testing Endurance Limit Notch Root Smooth Specimen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cazattd, E.: Fatigue of Metals, New York 1953.Google Scholar
- Temples, R. L.: Proc. ASTM, 54, 641 (1954).Google Scholar
- Flttck, P. G.: Proc. ASTM, 51, 584–592 (1951).Google Scholar
- Findley, W. N., F. C. Mergen and A. H. Rosenberg: Proc. ASTM, 53, 768 (1953).Google Scholar
- Findley, W. N.: J. appl. Mech., 20, 365 (1953).Google Scholar
- McClintoce:, F. A.: J. appl. Mech., 22, 427–431 (1955).Google Scholar
- Dieter, G. F., and R. F. Mehl: NACA TN 3019 (1953).Google Scholar
- Inglis, C. E.: Trans. Instn. nav. Archit., Lond., 55 (I), 218 (1913).Google Scholar
- MacGregor, C. W., and N. Grossman: NACA TN 2812 (1952).Google Scholar