Bayesian Reliability Demonstration
A Bayesian approach to reliability demonstration testing is described and differences between the Bayesian viewpoint and the commonly employed classical approach are highlighted. A procedure for selecting a specific inverted gamma probability density to characterize the prior distribution of the MTBF of electronic hardware is developed and a table of Bayesian demonstration plans for a practical range of input parameters is provided. In addition, procedures for implementation of the plans and two illustrative examples are given. Finally, two commonly employed classical plans are compared to a Bayesian plan illustrating the efficiency of the latter in terms of demonstration test time requirements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Balaban. A Bayesian Approach to Reliability Demonstration. Annals of Reliability and Maintainability Conference, 8th Conference, 1969, P 497–504.Google Scholar
- 2.A. J. Bonis. Bayesian Reliability Demonstration Plans. Annals of Reliability and Maintainability Conference, 5th Conference, 1966, P 861–873.Google Scholar
- 4.C. H. Witt, R. H. Myers, K. L. Wong, and E. G. N. Yem. Reliability Prediction and Demonstration for Airborne Electronics. RADC Contract Number F30602–67-C-0221, April, 1968.Google Scholar
- 5.A. J. Feduccia and J. Klion. How Accurate are Reliability Predictions? Proceedings, Annual Symposium on Reliability, 1968, P 280–297.Google Scholar
- 6.C. W. Hamilton. Bayesian Procedures and Reliability Information. Second Annual Aerospace Reliability and Maintainability Conference, 1963, P 278–283.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Y. Lin and G. J. Schick. On-Line Console-Aided Assessment of Prior Distributions. Ninth Reliability and Maintainability Conference, Detroit, Michigan, 22–20 July 1970.Google Scholar
- 8.Karl Pearson. Tables of the Incomplete Gamma Function. University Press, Cambridge, England, 1946.Google Scholar
- 9.R. E. Schaefer, J. Collins, M. L. Luden, et al. Bayesian Reliability Demonstrations: Phase 1 — Data for the A Priori Distribution. RADC-TR-69–389, Final Technical Report, February, 1970.Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Schaefer and N. D. Singpurwalla. A Sequential Bayes Procedure for Reliability Demonstration. Annals of Reliability and Maintainability Conference, 8th Conference, 1969, P 507–514.Google Scholar
- 11.Reliability Tests: Exponential Distribution. U. S. Department of Defense, MIL-STD-781B, Washington, D. C., Government Printing Office, 1967.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Wald. Sequential Analysis. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1947.Google Scholar
- 14.R. L. Winkler. The Qualification of Judgement: Some Methodological Studies. Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 62, No. 320, December, 1967, P 1105–1120.Google Scholar