Laser beams, in a way, might appear to be a material scientist’s dream: They can deliver concentrated “pure” energy to almost any material, and they do so exactly where, when, and in the quantity desired. Once available, lasers simply had to be used in materials science, if only because they were there. Things have, of course, turned out to be slightly more complicated, as we discuss in the following. Nevertheless, the fascination of transforming materials by laser beams will certainly continue to catch the fancy of scientists and engineers for many years to come.
KeywordsRuby Laser Laser Effect Laser Remelt Intense Laser Beam Beam Delivery System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.1A reasonably representative cross section is found in the annual symposium proceedings of the US and European Materials Research Societies F.R. Ausseneg, A. Leitner, M.E. Lippitsch (eds.): Surface Studies with Lasers, Springer Ser. Chem. Phys., Vol.33 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1983) D. Bäuerle (ed.): Laser Processing and Diagnostics, Springer Ser. Chem. Phys., Vol.39 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1984) G.A. Mourou, D.M. Bloom, C.-H. Lee (eds.): Picosecond Electronics and Optoelectronics, Springer Ser. Electro-phys., Vol.21 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1985) M.J. Kelly, C. Weisbuch (eds.): The Physics and Fabrication of Microstructures and Microdevices, Springer Proc. Phys., Vol.13 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1986)Google Scholar
- 1.2W. Koechner: Solid-State Laser Engineering, 2nd ed., Springer Ser. Opt. Sci., Vol.1 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1987) in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 1.3W. Witteman: CO2 Lasers, Springer Ser. Opt. Sci. (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1987) in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 1.4Ch.K. Rhodes (ed.): Excimer Lasers, 2nd. ed., Topics Appl. Phys., Vol.30 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1984)Google Scholar
- 1.5M. von Allmen: In Laser annealing of Semiconductors, ed. by J.M. Poate, J.W. Mayer (Academic, New York 1982) pp.43–74Google Scholar
- 1.6See the magazines Laser Focus (Advanced Technology, Littleton, Mass.) and Lasers and Applications (High-Tech Publications, Torrance, Calif.)Google Scholar
- 1.7D.C. Winburn, G. Gomez: Practical Laser Safety(Dekker, New York 1985)Google Scholar
- 1.8D. Bäuerle: Chemical Processing with Lasers, Springer Ser. Mater. Sci., Vol.1 (Springer Berlin, Heidelberg 1986)Google Scholar