Atrophy, Exocrine Pancreas, Rat
Naturally occurring atrophy of the exocrine pancreas in the rat was described by Kendrey and Roe (1969) as having a macroscopic granular appearance. In experimentally induced progressive atrophy the pancreas appeared fatty in rats after 6 weeks on a copper-deficient diet (Smith et al. 1982).
SynonymsPancreatic microcystic transformation pancreatic degeneration pancreatic involution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson N, Low D (1965) Juvenile atrophy of the canine pancreas. Anim Hosp 1:101–109Google Scholar
- Anver MR, Cohen BJ (1979) Lesions associated with aging. In: Baker HJ, Lindsey JR, Weisbroth SH (eds) The laboratory rat, vol I. Biology and diseases. Academic, New York, pp 377–399Google Scholar
- Berg BN (1967) Longevity studies in rats. II. Pathology of ageing rats. In: Cotchin E, Roe FJC (eds) Pathology of laboratory rats and mice. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, chap 23Google Scholar
- Burek JD (1978) Pathology of aging rats. CRC, Boca Raton FLGoogle Scholar
- Hultquist GT, Jonsson LE (1965) Ligation of the pancreatic duct in rats. Acta Soc Med Uppsala 70: 82–88Google Scholar
- Lansdown ABG (1974) Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency: a comparison of the clinical findings with the epi/epi mutation and Coxsackie virus B infection in mice. J Hered65:378Google Scholar
- Nevalainen TJ, Janigan DT (1974) Degeneration of mouse pancreatic acinar cells during fasting. Virchows Arch (Cell Pathol) 15:107–118Google Scholar
- Papp M, Fodor I, Varga G, Folly G (1982) Pancreatic edema: its effect on the function and morphology of the pancreas in dogs and rats. Mt Sinai J Med (NY) 49: 456–464Google Scholar
- Szabo T, Greenstein AJ, Geller SA, Dreiling DA (1978) Pancreatic atrophy in the canine: an entity of exocrine-endocrine dissociation. Mt Sinai J Med (NY) 45: 503–508Google Scholar
- The TL, Maxwell WL, Thirumalai C (1980) Light microscopic and ultrastructural changes of the exocrine pancreas in the magnesium deficient rats. Exp Pathol (Jena) 18:245–253Google Scholar