The VLSI Design of a Reed-Solomon Encoder Using Berlekamp’s Bit-Serial Multiplier Algorithm
E.R. Berlekamp has developed for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory a bit-serial multiplication algorithm for the encoding of Reed-Solomon (RS) codes, using a dual basis over a Galois field. The conventional RS-encoder for long codes often requires look-up tables to perform the multiplication of two field elements. Berlekamp’s algorithm requires only shifting and exclusive-OR operations. It is shown in this paper that the new dual-basis (255, 223) RS-encoder can be realized readily on a single VLSI chip with NMOS technology.
KeywordsChannel Code Dual Basis Convolutional Code Information Symbol VLSI Design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. P. Odenwalder, “Concatenated Reed-Solomon/Viterbi Channel Coding for Advanced Planetary Missions: Analysis, Simulations, and Tests,” submitted to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory by Linkabit Corp., San Diego, Calif., Contract No. 953866, December 1974.Google Scholar
- R. L. Miller, L. J. Deutsch, and S. A. Butman, On the Error Statistics of Viterbi Decoding and the Performance of Concatenated Codes, Publication 81–9, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., September 1, 1981.Google Scholar
- K. Y. Liu and J. J. Lee, An Experimental Study of the Concatenated Reed-Solomon/Viterbi Channel Coding System and Its Impact on Space Communications, Publication 81–58, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., August 15, 1981.Google Scholar
- R. R. Stephens and M. F. Pellet, ‘Joint NASA/ESA Telemetry Channel Coding Guideline: Issue 1’ NASA/ESA Working Group (NEWG) Publication, January 1982.Google Scholar
- H. F. A. Reefs and A. R. Best, “Concatenated Coding on a Spacecraft-to-Ground Telemetry Channel Performance”, Proc. ICC 81, Denver, 1981.Google Scholar
- E. R. Berlekamp, ‘Bit Serial Reed-Solomon Encoders,’ IEEE Trans, on Information Theory, Volume IT-28 No. 6, November 1982.Google Scholar
- M. Perlman and J. J. Lee, Reed-Solomon Encoders — Conventional vs Berlekamp’s Architecture, Publication 82–71, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., December 1, 1982.Google Scholar
- K. Y. Liu, Architecture for VLSI design of Reed-Solomon Encoders, Publication 81–87, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, June 8, 1981.Google Scholar
- P. J. MacWilliams and N. J. A. Sloane, The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1978.Google Scholar
- T. K. Truong, L. J. Deutsch, and I. S. Reed, The Design of s Single Chip Reed-Solomon Encoder, Publication 82–84, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., November 15, 1982.Google Scholar
- C. Mead and L. Conway, Introduction to VLSI Systems, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Calif., 1980.Google Scholar
- L. W. Negal and D. 0. Pederson, “SPICE — Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis, Memorandum No. ERL-M382, Electronics Research Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, April 12, 1973.Google Scholar