Comments on Evaluating Algorithms and Codes for Mathematical Programming
In this paper we comment on comparative computational studies for mathematical programming, in particular the Papers by Miele and Gonzalez , Sandgren and Ragsdell , and Schittkowski , and give some of our views on this subject. We suggest the papers by Gill and Murray  and Moré , and the book they are contained in (Fosdick ), as other important reading on this subject.
KeywordsTest Problem Mathematical Programming Mathematical Software Optimization Software Numerical Software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L.D. Fosdick, ed., Performance Evaluation of Numerical Software, North-Holland, 1979.Google Scholar
- P.E. Gill and W. Murray, “Implementation and Testing of Optimization Software,” in Performance Evaluation of Numerical Software, North-Holland, 1979, pp. 221–234.Google Scholar
- A. Miele and S. Gonzalez, “On the Comparative Evaluation of Algorithms for Mathematical Programming Problems,” in: O.L. Mangasarian, R.R. Meyer and S.M. Robinson, eds., Nonlinear Programming, 3, Academic Press, 1978, pp. 337–359.Google Scholar
- J.J. Moré, “Implementation and Testing of Optimization Software.” in Performance Evaluation of Numerical Software, North-Holland, 1979, pp. 253–266.Google Scholar
- K. Schittkowski, Nonlinear Programming Codes - Information, Tests, Performance, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, No. 183, Springer-Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- K. Schittkowski, “A Model for the Performance Evaluation in Comparative Studies,” this proceedings.Google Scholar
- R.B. Schnabel, “Developing Modular Software for Unconstrained Optimization,” Performance Evaluation of Numerical Software, North-Holland, 1979.Google Scholar
- B.E. Weiss, “A Modular Software Package for Solving Unconstrained Nonlinear Optimization Problems,” M.S. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1980.Google Scholar